1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I found blood all over my chicken coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NickyBob, Feb 28, 2013.

1. NickyBob

NickyBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hi I am making this thread to ask a question. I went to go feed my chickens and there was blood all over my chickens coop and all over my hen, Peep, it was noticeable because she is a WHITE Leghorn. I examined her and I found dry blood around her nose. Is it because of the cold? I thought it could be a nose bleed possibly. Anything i should be concerned about? Can you give me any answers? Thank you!

-Hayley [​IMG]

2. NickyBob

Jun 26, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    She is my avatar.
    Her name is Peep :) She is a White Leghorn <3

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I suspect that she has as cut on her comb. They bleed a lot from the comb. If the blood is dry the wound has closed.

4. NickyBob

Jun 26, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Well I checked her comb and I can't find any cut or gash in it. Could it be a nose bleed possibly?

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Could she have caught and killed something? Like a mouse?

6. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I am interested in the answer to your question because I had a similar incicdent with my White Plymouth Rock. She had blood on her face, chest and shoulders about ten days ago. I could not find any wounds on her and she is fine now, but I have been curious as to where the blood might have come from.

7. Bone143

Bone143 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I find blood in my coop every now and then that looks like a massacre splatter on walls etc and generally it is from the comb, it can be the smallest little anything and it will look like they about bled out from it. I put corn meal on any wounds etc to stop bleeding but most the time it is so small it is allready healing or healed by the time I catch it. I would vote comb and its just hard to see or was just a pin prick in it. It is truly amazing how much will come out of a small place.

8. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I guess it is similar to a face wound in humans. The tiniest little cut to the face can bleed profusely.

9. NickyBob

Jun 26, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Really?! The blood is on all those same places!!!

10. NickyBob

Jun 26, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Well it is definitely coming from the comb because I was just out with them and I saw blood coming from her nose [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by