Help, I got eggs and bator probs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nichole77, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    So my plan was to use the toaster oven but the settings lie. It gets way too hot. So I didn't put my eggs in. Then my dad tries to rig me one but the light is too close to the Plexiglas and it started to warp and melt. So they never made it in there. So now I am building Ms.Prissy's bator but need it done like yesterday. But some things I don't understand. Why doesn't she have a hygrometer? And what is the water wiggler for and where do you find them? And why do you need air holes that you plug up?Thank you. and wish me luck.

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Quote:Her hygrometer is the water wiggler. The type she gets has an external wire, that is stuck in the water wiggler. Water wigglers can be found at Walmart for .88 or the dollar store. The hygrometer is at Walmart or Lowes for around $15.

Air holes are for circulation, as the eggs need to breath. You cover up most of them when you raise the humidity.

I have had great success with Miss Prissy's bator, and highly recommend it!!! Good luck!!! Steph

3. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Yeah I always wondered about those things too, but I eventually figured that out after thinking about for 2 months, [​IMG] Good questions tho, I would have asked the same thing but I was too embarassed to look like a dumb chicken [​IMG]

4. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    SO I got the bator up and running. But I cant get the temp up. It says a 25 watt, but that wouldn't get over 91 so I tried a 40 and cant get past 96. I used a plastic file crate with Plexiglas on top. I even covered the air holes just to see if the temp would get up there. Any suggestions?

5. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think your plastic file crate is well enough insulated to hold the heat. That's why people use things like sytrofoam coolers and old refrigerators. You might be able to get it to work if you bought some insulation to wrap around it -- leaving holes for ventilation, though.

Susan

6. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    thats what I was thinking
    but why would you need insulation and you have air holes? Wouldn't that cancel everything out? And is plexiglas in the lid be ok or would it let out too much heat? I am thinking about using an old cooler.It's just a plain old ice chest not styrofoam. the styrofoam ones seem really small and tapered on the bottom.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    You are losing heat from the whole surface of your bator. The insulation will help the surface retain heat while the few holes will allow air flow to your eggs. I bet if you touch your bator it feels warm, that is the heat leaving. I have a homemade styrofoam one (which was very easy and cheap to make) and I don't feel any heat from it unless I open it. You either need to find a way to insulate the exterior(allowing venting) or find something that hold heat/cold like previously mentioned. Good luck!
    Krista

8. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I am off to buy a styrofoam cooler. and I watched the youtube video and I will use a piece of glass from a picture frame. If these eggs dont make it I will definitely try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by