HELP i got loose garage guineas

perchie.girl

RIP 1953-2021
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego county High Desert
All my best efforts have failed. Today when I went to moms house to feed and check on my babies... I opened the garage door to see two little shiny sets of eyes greeting me from the interior of the garage. Apparently during the evening they had had a mosh pit... slam session... what ever .... they knocked over their water and two Guineas found their way OUT by way of falling into the door and they are now LOOOSE...

I tried chasing them down... I tried buying a net... by now they are very wary.... Clearing out the garage is not an option....

any suggestions?

Wait until dark and try to sneak up on them?

I haven't a clue - I am actually terrified of the noisey purple people eaters. (even though I have 10 guinea eggs in my 'bator)
hide.gif

I wish you the best, though - good luck

well that's a tough one. The are wily. Perhaps setting a "trap". Lure them with treats of chopped up tomatoes, millet. Perhaps inside of a dog kennel or something they can get into. Will probably take patience. Let us know how you catch the little buggers.

Quote:
LOL.. I love your signature.... I am going to try the waiting till dark thing... but the bugger are four weeks old and can fly soo well. I am thinking of taking the rest away moving them to the coop in the mountains... (my house) then I only have to deal with the two Reprobrates... Mom is timid about them as well but she has the net... she said she would try tonight. We will see.
gig.gif

Quote:
I have been thinking of building a little trap for them. kind of like a lobster trap where they can go in but it would take a rocket scientist to get back out. I am going to take the rest up to my house in the mountains first though. This way I only have to deal with catching the loose ones. They are only about four weeks old but BOY can they fly.....

I have to tell you about our guineas. They are pretty tame. They were handled quite a bit as keets and my son show them in 4-H. Most people can't believe how tame they are.

As babies.
28423_014.jpg

At 4-H show were this guineas won BEST OF SHOW!
100_1140.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta hand it to you, that's pretty amazing! I can produce the world's most clingy chicken, turkeys that will fetch your house shoes, and ducks and geese that will warm your toes and look longingly at you, but guineas ..... meh!!!! Mine, to a bird, are a bunch of hoodlums! The oldest pair, which I lovingly raised with plenty of bribery and cuddles, get only close enough to "tell you 'bout yoself", the juveniles are freaked out little crackheads, and the babies .... puleeeze, do these birds HAVE any speed besides super duper faaaaaaast?!

I don't know what froggie is doing different than me! Mine are not tame! They don't even like being held as keets.

I hope you caught your keet. At least you were working w a contained space!

My dd13 opened up the tractor for our keets Thursday. And didn't notice the run was open! We had birds every where! They flew on top of the shed, through the woods, you name it! Took 3 of us 5 hours to catch them all & it was 105 in the shade!!!! I know they say teenagers brains are still developing but seriously!

Quote:
OMG! That rocks!
celebrate.gif

I want my babies to love me like that! It will never happen.
th.gif

Congrats on your son and his wonderful ability to handle and show to such a great honor!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom