1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP I hatched a chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thunder Thighs, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Thunder Thighs

Thunder Thighs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Advice wanted! When we came back from holidays we found two Broodies sitting a clutch of eggs. (These eggs are ISA Brown Hens crossed with a French Wheaton Marans Rooster). After a couple of weeks the eggs started hatching. Once the first three hatched and began leaving the nest one of the hens started nesting out of the box with those chicks and the remaining hen started leaving the clutch to check on the chicks so we moved them. The hen started sitting again. So then about a week later 5 more chicks hatched. Once they were up and running we noticed she had left the nest for the whole day and was setting up in the corner for the night. We moved her and the chicks back but an hour later she had relocated again so we took the remaining eggs. After candling them we felt we had three viable eggs remaining so we thought better to give them a chance rather than chucking them. With no clue what we were doing we placed them in a shoe box in our sons room with tissue paper, a damp cloth, a desk lamp and a little scepticism mixed with optimism. After a few days one started to stink (out it went) after about 4 more days we detected the same odour so went to chuck the remaining eggs but one had a tiny whole and when I tapped the egg a little chick went "pip pip" OMG SHOCKED!
    Well 24 hours later we have a gorgeous fluffy chick YAY US! But now we don't know what to do. We moved both mother hens together last week (they were a little protective but now happily nest on the same box and share the load. But I'm worried that this little one won't be accepted or will experience quite a brutal welcome from all the other chicks. Should I find the chick a home with newly hatched 1-2 day old chicks or should I get a couple of 1-2 day old chicks to go with it and have them in a brooder box in the house for a few weeks or should I place him under the mother hens late tonight and hope for the best? I don't want him to stay alone but I'm not sure how to proceed?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd suggest putting the lone chick under one of the mommas, once its dark. She may, or may not accept the chick - just be sure that you are up to monitor how things are going the following morning and be prepared to separate the chick. If the chick is rejected, I'd suggest buying a few more chicks to keep the lone chicken company (they are social animals and thrive when other chicks are around).

This link should give you some guidance as to how to care for chicks - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

Best of luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I'd be prepared with a a couple siblings to raise your chick with if the momma hen doesn't take to it. The older chicks can be mean if the momma hen doesn't care enough to protect it. It's all about the watching and waiting.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thunder Thighs

Thunder Thighs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. I can't be here in the morning to keep an eye on them unfortunately. So I just can't bring myself to put the poor bugger out there I think I need to find her some friends. (Which luckily for me is a legitimate reason to get some more chickens LOL)

5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Hate to add to your chick-itis, but I think you're right. She needs friends. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Perfect logic for chicken maths [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by