1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! i have 2 grown hens/1-bantam rooster...want 3 chicks...is it ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by da-cajun-angla, Jan 31, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    im wondering if i can put some 3-4 wk old chicks in the coop with my hens/roo...will they hurt the chicks? i want to bring my little boy to the feed store to buy them 2day if its gonna be ok. is there anything i can do to introduce them...im new to this stuff. any halp appreciated.
    thanks in advance,
    shaun

2. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Unless someone else can offer more advice, I would say it's definitely not a good idea at 3-4 weeks.

However, I've heard of people keeping them together but separate. i.e. set up a fence in between, and then as the chicks get older, the older hens will become more accustomed to them, and eventually you can integrate them. But I haven't tried that yet, myself.

3. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    thanks hoot...i appreciate the info!

4. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Shaun with the crazy weather we've been having around Make sure they have a heat lamp. I wouldn't put them together but you could do what unclehoot said...together but seperate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by