HELP! I have 3 setting hens and its getting cold!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buxton Ducks, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I have 3 hens that have been sitting in their boxes and producing infertile eggs (one rooster is too old and 5 are too young). I put a few duck eggs under them and after candling them, I have 5 ducklings to be! It has been getting down to 30-40 every night and staying about 70 during the day. It will be much colder by the time they start to hatch (2 are due about october 5 and the other 3 should be the 12th). I would hate to seperate the little babies from their "moms" but would a brooder in the house be a safer option?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can you put them in a separate spot in the coop with a heat lamp?

3. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I have no power going to the coop, I can move them to the brooder, but am afraid it will stress them out too much.

Here they are:

[​IMG]
    Blue is on the left and Edith on the right

[​IMG]
    Beatrice!

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have had super bad luck with moving laying hens. Honestly what I did last time is I put black rubber on the outside of the coop where the nesting boxes are. No breeze would be coming through at all and a bit of heat capture. We also stacked straw bales to block off that area so there was no cold breezes getting through and a bit more insulation. Then when the chicks hatched we moved mom and babies into the brooder. Mom can keep them warm is some pretty cold conditions.

5. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Two hens were fighting over a hatching egg this morning and it was 40 degrees so I have decided to brooder-raise them. The first hatched out about 5 minutes ago!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by