Help! I have a baby chick a with swollen abdomen!

Wild_Flower

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
I have a chick a little over a week old who has a very swollen abdomen and also has a hard lump inside her belly. I talked to someone who said she looks like she’s full of poo. I massaged the area with warm water and tried squeezing GENTLY (per instructions given by breeder) but nothing came out. She’s acting normally, eating and drinking just fine. I also put some acv in the water to help digestion but I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can try???
Oh I also should add that there has been some poo on her bum a few times but it’s never been stuck to her actual vent. It’s more like it’s just really sticky poo that comes out and then gets stuck to her butt-fluff. Any insight, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
**in the pics she does have some poo stuck to her feathers but again it was below her vent and I cleaned her up right after. 👍🏼

Attachments

• 663FFDC0-A03C-4009-9CBD-9E6B93E13D84.jpeg
    663FFDC0-A03C-4009-9CBD-9E6B93E13D84.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 532970E4-1501-4BD4-A7AF-0FB58F6A4A10.jpeg
    532970E4-1501-4BD4-A7AF-0FB58F6A4A10.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 21
Ok I’ll try that, thank you!
Yes I’m so worried that it’ll get beyond my control to help especially since it happened so quickly.
You're welcome.

You may have to hand feed the first few chunks of coconut oil to give her a taste. After that she should gobble it up on her own.

How is the chick now?? I have been searching and searching for someone else who has dealt with this, as these are EXACTLY the symptoms my week old chick is having. I would appreciate a reply!

How is the chick now?? I have been searching and searching for someone else who has dealt with this, as these are EXACTLY the symptoms my week old chick is having. I would appreciate a reply!
I’m so sorry for responding so late! I sometimes forget to check my messages here (and everywhere…darn ADD🙄).
The baby is doing just fine now and has no issues as far as digestion. I never figured out the cause for him/her being so swollen so I’m afraid I’m no help.
My little “No Name” has crossbeak so now we’re dealing with a whole other issue. There’s never a dull moment with chickens though, right?? Lol
How is your little one doing?

I’m so sorry for responding so late! I sometimes forget to check my messages here (and everywhere…darn ADD🙄).
The baby is doing just fine now and has no issues as far as digestion. I never figured out the cause for him/her being so swollen so I’m afraid I’m no help.
My little “No Name” has crossbeak so now we’re dealing with a whole other issue. There’s never a dull moment with chickens though, right?? Lol
How is your little one doing?
did she get better after the coconut oil?
It's worth a shot trying the same course of treatment if the symptoms are exactly the same. Could you get a photo of your chick? Could it be pasty butt, any poop around her vent?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom