1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! I HAVE A DOG HEALTH QUESTION!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman101, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    howdy everyone i know this is a chicken forum, but im sure there are some dog lovers in here too. i have a boxer mix about 10 years old., today when i went to give her a treat i noticed the left side of her mouth was swollen like she was carrying something in here mouth, the swelling runs around all the way to the front. her lip is swollen also. she doesnt act like she feels bad or anything she still is eating and running around. could this be a bee sting or insect bite? it wasnt like that about 4:00 but then i noticed it around 8. does anyone have any ideas what it could be? will she be ok? will the swelling go down? any help will be apprecaited!!

2. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Quote:Prob a bee sting maybe ground hornet

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yea sounds like a bee sting, did you look over the area real good and the teeth? Sometimes mouth swellings have to do with teeth issues. Although swelling that much that quickly points to a bee sting. You can give benadryl to dogs, I'm not sure on the dosage though.
    I bet if you call your vet they'd tell you.

Nancy

4. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Abcess maybe? Think a vet visit is in order to rule out infection. Good Luck.
    Imp

6. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Sounds like a bee sting of some sort. Call your vet for the dosage on the benadryl.

7. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    thank u

8. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    i have good news!! the swelling went away and my dog is fine and back to normal. it must have been a bee sting or some type of insect bite. thanks for all the help

9. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    give him some benydryl my lab is allergic to bees and we live and bee counrty in seems ! anyways give him some and watch him sleep !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by