1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help. I have a five day old chicks who has labored breathing.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ktkatridge, May 26, 2016.

1. ktkatridge

ktkatridge New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    One of my five day old chicks had its tip of beak pecked off by mom. Took her and the other chick into a brooder. She seemed to be thriving until now. Eating and drinking just fine. I put save a chick in their water. Her breathing is very labored. Advice greatly appreciated!

2. ktkatridge

ktkatridge New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Also, will the tip of beak grow back? Thx

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The chick's injury may just be coincidental to her present health condition. She may have been rejected by the broody mom because she sensed the chick was genetically defective.

However, on the chance the chick is suffering from shock, you can try tepid sugar water, and even better, Poultry Nutri-drench.

Depending on where the beak was severed, if it isn't too high, it will grow back.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Be careful to not keep the chick too warm.

5. ktkatridge

ktkatridge New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    The mom actually was attacking the whole brood as they were hatching. I had to remove them and put them in the incubator. It was her first time going broody. I am watching the temperature to insure it's not too high. The other chick who survived is doing just fine in the same brooder, so I know it's not the temp. Thank you! I will try nutri- drench! I don't believe she is in shock because this is new today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by