HELP!!! i have a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Jul 22, 2013.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Songster

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I had a hen that eggs didn't hatch so I bought her 2 babies and was doing the ol' slip a roo. well, I put them under her tonight and took out the eggs that didn't hatch. it was dark I had a flash light so I could watch her. she was antsy after I put them in. she was trying to peck under her self. she grabbed one of the little ones feet and drug it out from under her. of course I grabbed it. I am satisfied she might have hurt it. I brought them back in. I was afraid she would kill them. so now what to do? do I try it again or not?

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    how old were the babys? poor things! [​IMG] i would just put them in a brooder. i would give her another egg that is fertille so she can have her own baby. however you could try again but if it goes bad then i wouldnt put them with her.

3. annanimal

annanimal Songster

Jul 16, 2012
    She might just be a bad mother, sorry to tell you that!
    Better luck next time, besides, it is fun raising them yourself![​IMG]

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    i agree a good mommy would take them [​IMG]

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    that's what I was thinking. she may not be a good mother. I did this around 2 weeks ago with my other hen and gave her 5 she LOVES them!!!!! so should I try it again or give it a no go?

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    oh and the babies look like they hatched yesterday. they are still learning to drink water. they are real little.

7. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    you could try again but its totally up to you

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I think I will try it again. someone suggested doing it during the day so I think I will do that. wish me luck [​IMG]

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok not happening! I tried it again with eggs and she pecked one of the babies. so I think its a big no go! [​IMG]

10. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Bad mommy! Oh well, it's funny raising them in a brooder though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by