Help! I have a Shipping Crate and NO IDEAS!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bleenie, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

This crate has been sitting in the front yard since March 22nd and I cannot think of how to transform it into a coop! I know I want to(for Silkies) but I just can't get a picture in my head of how I want it to look... Make sense? I need ideas!!

[​IMG]

2. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    look up shipping crate coop in search and there is a very cute coop that should give you some ideas! Good luck with your coop!

3. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    What size is the crate?, why not just lift the top up x amount of feet and stud it in and go from there?

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I checked out the crate coop and online some more and think I have a fairly good idea of what to do with it. It's a little small but should work well for Silkies(I have a hen on some shipped eggs). I was planning on one nesting box but if I keep a trio then I should probably have 2 boxes since they're so broody.

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Please remember to post a picture of it. Would love to see what you come up with!

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Here is my box coop. It is much bigger than your. The coop is about 2 feet above ground with cement blocks for extend the wood life and provide room for the chickens hiding underneath during rain, snow, and hot day or fence off for chick brooder box. The eggs access door from the back side. I just add few pieces of 2" x 4" at front to raise one end higher for the roof.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. fantastic4

fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I think that is also a good start to a chick tractor. You could always cut out the botttom hinge the top and put a laying box or 2.

8. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    thats a nice crate too.. I say put some small legs under it and hinge the top for easy access. Cut a square in the front for access for the chicks. Maybe some sort of roofing on top to keep water out. some paint and some chicken wire and your done!

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's a picture of the ideas I had. I gotta figure out if I want 1 or 2 nest boxes though.. I am thinking with a trio of Silkies I will probably need two!

So have to revise it some.
    [​IMG]
    That dark line through the middle is supposed to be a roost bar on the inside, lol. and I was thinking of putting drop windows on the sides for ventelation.

10. fantastic4

fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    One nest is fine for up to 4 hens some say 6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by