Help, I have a sick Barred Rock!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tereasa, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Tereasa

Tereasa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    KANSAS
    I had noticed about a week ago that my other girls were picking on one barred rock, she eventually just stayed in the coop. She was not eating much and had become very weak. I seperated her, and she still is not eating. She is laying down and not standing much, tho she did step out of her little pen once today, I had to pick her up and put her back in, she seems to weak to move. I noticed her poop was white and runny, Could it be that she is egg bound? How can you tell? She is almost a year old, This is the first time I have had any problems with any of my girls, and I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Eggbound hens present with a strange posture and gait. They tend to stand in one spot hunched over, and when they walk they walk like a penguin. Their tails are held low and their vents tend to pulse.

Is that what is going on with your girl?

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How is her crop? Is it full? A impacted crop or sour crop could also cause these same symptoms.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Basically, there are 3 things that might be happening, or a combination; possibly eggbound (I agree with CMV on this,) lice/mites, or worms.

5. Tereasa

Tereasa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    KANSAS
    Thank you all for the information. Her crop felt normal, and I had done preventative worming, and I do not see lice or mites. ( I hope I know what I'm looking for, this is my first year for chickens ) . She is not going to make it through the day tho, I just hope that this is nothing contagious, all my other girls seem fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by