help i have a sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jnkir7, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    [​IMG]i have a chick really sick, he keeks straining trying to go potty,his tummy is extremely large. he is crying a lot . [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Have you offered him some pedialyte or vitamins in his water?

3. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    yes but then its only been thirty minuites since i found him .

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Maybe try to set him in some warm water, a small cup... watch him while he's there of course. This may give him some comfort if its an issue with muscles. Also, don't over do the vitamins, it can really cause damage to his digestion if there has been too many vitamins or mineral introduced to his system.

5. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    okay i put him in a cup of warm water he stopped crying ,how long should i leave him in it ,he looks so cute looking at me he is sitting here on the coffee table looking over the rim of the cup,

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Did you check to see if he has pasty butt? You could try rubbing his bottom with a warm wet cloth to make sure he can poop.

7. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I just saved a chick with these symptoms. Make up some molasses water; the ratio/recipe is about 1 tablespoon of WARM water with a drop of molasses in it...so that the water color is light to medium brown. Don't over do the molasses content. Hold the chick and gently make the chick drink (but do not submerge the chick's beak past the nostrils, you don't want to have the chick inhale and aspirate the water into the lungs, which is deadly!) Molasses in warm water has a laxative effect and will help soften and break up the chick's constipation. Have the chick drink 7-10 sips of the water at least twice daily, usually 3-4 days will resolve the problem. Only serve warm fresh water to all of the chicks, as cool water can worsen constipation. Also make sure the chick's butt is clean and clear (not pasted with dried poop) If the butt is poopy, use a warm water soaked washcloth to gently remove the poop and dry the area with a soft towel. You can add warm water to the chick starter/feed, and make a wet mash, but if you do so, be sure to change the wet mash very often as the heat lamps will cause bacterial growth and spoilage very quickly...which can be toxic to baby chicks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    Quote:he did earlier i cleaned it about an hour ago , but he didnt go poop after.trying the malasses now thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by