Help...I have a sick chicken, one just died!

AllieH

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
our chickens will be 2 in April and have always been really healthy/happy. Last week we found our easter egg chicken dead under a tree. She had been fine earlier in the day. There was no blood, goop around the eyes and she hasn't layed for months. The other 4 girls seem fine and are laying every day/every other day. I looked out today and our golden Wyandotte is just sitting around all puffed up. I went outta give them scraps and she didn't even go over to see. Her butt does have a little dried poop on it but her eyes look good. I evenlet them out to free range and she is just hanging in the run. Please help...the first one we lost was my youngest daughters chicken and this one in my oldest daughters chicken. I have never had problem before!

Welcome to BYC, sorry you are having problems with your birds.

Have these birds ever been dewormed? Have you checked them for lice/mites? In regards to the first one that died that had stopped laying, did you by any chance notice any swelling of the lower abdomen area?

There's quite a few things that could be the culprit, not to mention that as hens get older it's not uncommon for them to start having reproductive tract/laying issues that take them down. Chickens are very good at hiding any symptoms of illness and sometimes there's no way to know what the cause was unless you have a necropsy done.

X2 on everything she said. You should do a thorough exam, then dust with poultry dust even if you can't see any bugs. Do your exam and post your findings.

I have checked them for mites/lice and they all are fine...In fact they all are the prettiest they have ever ben! will dust as well, but I think she is egg bound. We gave her a soak and now she is in our big dog kennel in the bathroom all warm. She keeps flexing her vent so I think she is trying to lay...will do another soak a little later. Any other advice? My husband read to give them olive oil to help lubricate? Thanks!

Hooray! My husband reached up there and pulled out a very soft shell! We are going to let her sleep in the kennel in the house tonight. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom