Help I have a sick chicken....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DebbieDee, Dec 13, 2012.

1. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    I have a chicken that will not eat and barely drinks. I have taken her inside my basement. She is listless and just basically spaced out.She has very watery droppings.Green in color. She is barely over a year old. She is from my backyard flock. She is the only one affected. She is not egg bound or does not have bugs.She has not been exposed to any new birds. What could be the problem?
    Help Please
    Thanks

2. chickencrazy888

chickencrazy888 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I'm fairly new at raising chickens, but I know that those symptoms are common for having worms. The green watery color could be sign of liver problems, ecoli, some sort of infection, or just because she is dehydrated and starving from not eating. I had a newly hatched guinea that was like that. I thought for sure I would lose her. I gave her the save a chick vitamin water and raw egg yolk through a syringe, and it brought her back to life. I just gave her a few drops every 15 minutes. When she didn't drink it I just put it on her beak, and she swallowed it down. You could try that. Maybe it will help. I've only had chickens for nine months, so I'm not that experienced yet. I'm sure there could be other reasons that she is like that. This is all I know as of yet.

3. chickencrazy888

Apr 6, 2012
    Oh, and keep her warm. I hope it helps. Sorry you have a sick chicken.

4. chickencrazy888

Apr 6, 2012
    Do her lungs sound wheezy at all? Is she sneezing or anything? My husband says sounds like an infection. You may need to get her on antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by