Help! I have a wet chick just hatched getting trampled!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minky, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    So, i have 8 chicks hatched the last 48 hours - the first 5 hatched April 4, last 3 yesterday morning...
    BUT my only maran egg started pipping this morning at around 7am- lots of chirping, one small hole.
    At 4 pm today there was no progress (9 hrs), so I got my tweezers and opened a little spot, then a bit more (it seemed really cramped and she was tired, but still chirping) ...I slowly removed about 1/3 of the shell...it didnt seem stuck to her, but there was blood on the shell..not much but more than other shells Ive found from unassited hatches...then I put her under my hen again.
    Came back to check on her and she had pushed out, but was being totally trampled and pecked (the red blood strands i guess) by mom and my chicks...
    So i have her in the house on a papertowel, in a small basket with electric heat pad under, heat pack (bean bag type) hovering over the basket and a lamp about 2 feet away. I think the temperature is okay. And thing else she needs? Her eyes have not opened, but chirping away. Now she is sleeping...Legs look ok, body seems fine.
    Am I on the right track with helping her? Couldnt just let her get squished into the woodchips...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Let her rest, dip her beak in some sugar water, and then when she is a little bit stronger put her back. I would wait until after dark at night and put her back under the mother. Make sure she is able to stagger around at least even if it takes a full day. I made the mistake of putting a weak chick back with the mother and it ended up getting squashed and died :(
    Keep an eye on her though since temperature is very important. Do you have a thermometer yout could put next to her?

3. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    yes, good idea, Ill put our outdoor wireless thermometer beside her. What temp? 100?

i dont have an incubator...

4. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Aim for 98-100 until the chick is dry, then 95 once dry. I hope she gets stronger soon!

5. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    oh man, Im glad you suggested the thermometer- I thought temp was great--and it was only 79!!! its 83 and climbing now.. ive got heat packs, heating pad and space heater going full blast ....

6. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    removed basket, put her on papertowel directly on heat pad, on high. Still only at 90....

7. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    ok she's at 100 and drying nicely. eyes cracking open. ill do the sugar water in a bit.

8. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    a bendy neck lamp with an "old fashioned" light bulb like this will work great to keep her warm. Just bend it closer or farther away till you get a good temp. 90F is a fine temp for chicks.
    [​IMG]

9. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    yeah, wish i had one.... Ill keep my eyes open for one in the future, though. Bet I can get one for next to nothing for future chick emergencies!! I scoured the house a few nights ago and found only one measly 60 w (old fashioned) bulb in the whole house!!
    thanks!

10. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    baby chick is back in with momma and her 8 siblings. she was dry, stumbling about and quite alert, so I thought she'd do better under her momma than inside.

thanks again for all the help, its nice to have a calm sensible voice amidst the panic!:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: