Help! I have a wheezy duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by megsjo, Apr 3, 2018.

1. megsjo

megsjo In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    I recently bought four ancona ducklings that are about a month old last week. One of them has become wheezy and is panting constantly. This has been going on for about two days. He’s still eating and drinking, but he’s isolating himself and his little chest is really heaving. I’ve given him several baths hoping his nostrils are just blocked, and I’ve put him in his own box away from the heat lamp just in case he was hot. I did that for several hours at room temperature but he’s still panting. I’m running out of ideas and if he doesn’t get better soon I’ll take him to the vet but I’d rather not put him in the car again, taking him home stressed them out a lot. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

2. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello, do you provide water at all times that is deep enough to dunk heads to clear eyes and nares?..Possibly the Brooder is too warm?.Also stress can cause Ducks to pant..Could be infection in his lungs too?..Hard to say..

megsjo and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  4. megsjo

megsjo In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    Yes their conditions were right, I have nine others in the same place and they all have been fine. Thank you for your suggestions! I took him to the vet this morning and he has pneumonia. They think it was trauma induced from the people I bought him from, I rescued him and three others from a pretty shady petting zoo so I was expecting some problems. He’s staying there for a couple of days on oxygen and antibiotics, I’m not sure he’ll make it but at least now he’s more comfortable. He’s still eating and drinking and he was feisty when I took him over to the vet so maybe he’ll pull through. Fingers crossed!

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Best of luck to you and the Duck...

megsjo likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

@megsjo how is your duckling doing today any news from the vet?

7. megsjo

megsjo In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    He passed away at the vet’s office this morning. They had him on oxygen and antibiotics all night but he didn’t make it. We’ve had a pretty sad morning but the other nine are doing great so we’re ruling out an infectious disease thank goodness. I tried not to get attached to my ducklings until they were bigger but this one was such a cuddly sweet little guy that it was hard not to. We have six khaki Campbells, two chocolate anconas, and one black Ancona left. You were right on my other thread, by the way. Once you get started with these guys it’s hard to stop. My poor husband has had to expand his coop plans quite a bit since our humble six buff Orpington pullets.

8. Lil' Chicky :)

Lil' Chicky :) Songster

Aug 28, 2017
    Lovely Michigan
    I hope he's ok

megsjo likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So very sorry. It's hard not to get attached right off they are all so precious. :hugs

Happy to hear the other 9 are doing great!!

megsjo likes this.
  10. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    so sorry. I hope all the others do fine.:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: