Help!!I have an egg with two air cells

Claudine19

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2021
I've got 9 duck eggs going on day 19. Tonight, I candled the eggs to make sure all was well and as I was doing so, I noted the biggest egg in the bunch had two big air cells. I've candle them pretty frequently and never saw anything close to a second air bubble it seems all so sudden. I'm pretty worried since I can see the duckling pushing against the (new) air cell very clearly. Has that happened to anyone before? Could it prevent the duck from developing or hatching? I'm scared he'll burst the air sack.

I'll link some pictures bellow and a video if I can manage too!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420_222546.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420_222546.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220420_222520.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420_222520.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220420_224152_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420_224152_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220420_224158_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420_224158_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36
I can’t get the video to play. I’m not really sure about it being 2 air cells. It kind of reminds me of this egg that I had where it looked like the veining disappeared on part of it. My egg ended up making it to hatch and was born with a bald spot. I suspect it has neuro issues bc it is “off” compared to the others.

I wonder if maybe the membrane just detached from the egg some? Since it’s day 19 I would think that air cell would still be too big (as it draws down a lot just before/at lockdown time)

Maybe someone with more experience hatching will chime in.

Best you can do is leave it and keep an eye on it. Time will tell. Best of luck

Attachments

• 7FBD0BF5-FC45-438F-8E4F-D6C713ECCC8D.jpeg
    7FBD0BF5-FC45-438F-8E4F-D6C713ECCC8D.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 39
  • C98B7BCF-0577-4E21-857C-396443E540D0.jpeg
    C98B7BCF-0577-4E21-857C-396443E540D0.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for the reply! It does look very similar to your pictures! How far in the incubation time were you when you noticed it? I'm worried it will be too tight for the duckling to stay in the egg for the next 8 days. It looks like he could burst the membrane any time now. It does have a pretty large air cell (weirdly enough since humidity has been around 50% since the beginning) but it's a massive egg compared to the others so I don't know if it could explain it?

Anyways I'm babbling now :rolleyes: Thanks again for your reply and I'll keep an eye on the little guy with crossed fingers! :)

Just thought I'd update this thread if anyone ever experience something similar with an incubating egg.

The duck ended up requiring some help as he pipped at the wrong end right into the tape I had put on the egg on day 1 because of a crack ( I didn't think of removing it at lockdown which is my bad. I didn't help for 48 hours but then when all the other ducklings had hatch I decided to take off a bit of egg shell and noticed that there was two layers of membrane, one with no veins and one with veins. I removed the one with no veining and applied some bacticin (might have spelt that wrong) ointment to the other one. The little guy was out a few hours later and although he was very tired he is doing very well!

If you look closely you can see I'm removing a membrane and there's another one against the duckling. I guess that was what I was seeing when candling!

Attachments

• DSC_1058.jpg
    DSC_1058.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220429_100230.jpg
    IMG_20220429_100230.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Snapchat-314819097.jpg
    Snapchat-314819097.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Snapchat-769457501.jpg
    Snapchat-769457501.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 36
Just thought I'd update this thread if anyone ever experience something similar with an incubating egg.

The duck ended up requiring some help as he pipped at the wrong end right into the tape I had put on the egg on day 1 because of a crack ( I didn't think of removing it at lockdown which is my bad. I didn't help for 48 hours but then when all the other ducklings had hatch I decided to take off a bit of egg shell and noticed that there was two layers of membrane, one with no veins and one with veins. I removed the one with no veining and applied some bacticin (might have spelt that wrong) ointment to the other one. The little guy was out a few hours later and although he was very tired he is doing very well!

If you look closely you can see I'm removing a membrane and there's another one against the duckling. I guess that was what I was seeing when candling!
How interesting! Sorry I somehow missed your other response to me, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging

I've got 9 duck eggs going on day 19. Tonight, I candled the eggs to make sure all was well and as I was doing so, I noted the biggest egg in the bunch had two big air cells. I've candle them pretty frequently and never saw anything close to a second air bubble it seems all so sudden. I'm pretty worried since I can see the duckling pushing against the (new) air cell very clearly. Has that happened to anyone before? Could it prevent the duck from developing or hatching? I'm scared he'll burst the air sack.

I'll link some pictures bellow and a video if I can manage too!
I just had this happen 4 weeks ago. There was 1 air cell when it started abc I actually didn’t even know there was 2 till it hatched
My little guy didn’t have room to grow proper abs his neck was formed with a v shape on the side of the bone
At 4 weeks I had to put him down as I did everything I possibly could to help him
If you go to my thread bruising all over egg you can read how I had to help him hatch and all the things I did to try to save him.
I pray you get a better outcome then I did as I’m truly heartbroken
He was my little sidekick for 4 weeks
We spent 24/7 together

I just had this happen 4 weeks ago. There was 1 air cell when it started abc I actually didn’t even know there was 2 till it hatched
My little guy didn’t have room to grow proper abs his neck was formed with a v shape on the side of the bone
At 4 weeks I had to put him down as I did everything I possibly could to help him
If you go to my thread bruising all over egg you can read how I had to help him hatch and all the things I did to try to save him.
I pray you get a better outcome then I did as I’m truly heartbroken
He was my little sidekick for 4 weeks
We spent 24/7 together
I just went and looked up your story. I am so incredibly sorry about your little guys passing! Your story had me teary eyed. Our situations were very similar as this was also a class project incubation and my little guy also had two aircells. I think my duckling got lucky since the egg he was in was massive!!! We were all expecting a giant duck to come out of it but being squished between two air cells he ended up being the smallest one of the 9. He also had a very long and weak neck at first and had to stay longer in the incubator before meeting is siblings. Weirdly enough once dried and rested his neck didn't seem so worryingly long. I'm once again very sorry for your loss and hope that the other ducklings were all very healthy and helped brighting your day a little!:)

I just went and looked up your story. I am so incredibly sorry about your little guys passing! Your story had me teary eyed. Our situations were very similar as this was also a class project incubation and my little guy also had two aircells. I think my duckling got lucky since the egg he was in was massive!!! We were all expecting a giant duck to come out of it but being squished between two air cells he ended up being the smallest one of the 9. He also had a very long and weak neck at first and had to stay longer in the incubator before meeting is siblings. Weirdly enough once dried and rested his neck didn't seem so worryingly long. I'm once again very sorry for your loss and hope that the other ducklings were all very healthy and helped brighting your day a little!:)
Thank you
Yes the other babies were fine they went to a local farm that does tours so the class is going to get to see them once bigger
I was never keeping any of them but when he had trouble i had to as they didn’t want one that needed so much care
I’m pretty attached to my ducks and he was one of their eggs so it was very hard
Im glad your little guy pulled through :)

Back
Top Bottom