Help I have bad chicken owners as neighbors

Nov 28, 2017
Sadly the people who have moved next door to within the last year have been acting like irresponsible animal owners. I love all animals, from the Polar bears to lizards, but I am trying to keep my neighbors chickens in their yard. Its not because I hate their flock or am worried about my grass, my uncle and I live next door to each other and are on two of three sides of these new neighbors, ( the fourth side to them is a highway) and we live in a somewhat rural area, and there's even about 15 ft of wooded area between us, and just the past few weeks have had about 5 hens and one rooster wandering in our yard, the thing is I have a pomeranian who barks at a flea jumping across the road, and they drive him crazy, and they have defecated several times right at my backdoor on my patio, but my uncle has two big dogs, and they are game dogs, and we put in a chain link cement enforced section of my uncles yard for them connected to his backdoor, but being hunting dogs they go insane when the chickens are in the yard, they bite at the chain link and have actually made themselves bleed trying to do what they have been raised and bred to do, hunt game. I have went to the neighbors, knocked but no one answered, I am not trying to hate on the chickens im trying to save their lives, and its not fair to our animals who are not getting loose, please help :)

Sadly the people who have moved next door to within the last year have been acting like irresponsible animal owners. I love all animals, from the Polar bears to lizards, but I am trying to keep my neighbors chickens in their yard. Its not because I hate their flock or am worried about my grass, my uncle and I live next door to each other and are on two of three sides of these new neighbors, ( the fourth side to them is a highway) and we live in a somewhat rural area, and there's even about 15 ft of wooded area between us, and just the past few weeks have had about 5 hens and one rooster wandering in our yard, the thing is I have a pomeranian who barks at a flea jumping across the road, and they drive him crazy, and they have defecated several times right at my backdoor on my patio, but my uncle has two big dogs, and they are game dogs, and we put in a chain link cement enforced section of my uncles yard for them connected to his backdoor, but being hunting dogs they go insane when the chickens are in the yard, they bite at the chain link and have actually made themselves bleed trying to do what they have been raised and bred to do, hunt game. I have went to the neighbors, knocked but no one answered, I am not trying to hate on the chickens im trying to save their lives, and its not fair to our animals who are not getting loose, please help :)

Sorry you are facing this. My birds occasionally wander into the neighbors yard, but I have made sure it was not a problem for them.

I would try to make contact again with the neighbors, they may not be aware this is going on. I found out from my neighbors a month ago that my turkeys would cross the street, and stay at their house all day! I didn't know this because I was at work all day. I have since made sure that they are confined.

I am of the opinion, that if my animals wander onto a neighbors property, and one gets injured or attacked by their pets, it's just too bad. That's a shame that your Uncle's dogs are going nuts, it must be torture for them.

I'm not sure what other options you have other than speaking with them. The next step I would take would be to contact the township. Best of luck!

I think you should definitely talk to the neighbors again. You're right about them being bad chicken owners because one big step in free-ranging is to make sure the neighborhood is safe, which it obviously is not.

If they refuse to talk to you or you can't contact them, I'd go talk to whoever/whatever makes laws in your town, so they can either talk to the owners or remove the chickens and give them to a safer, nice home.

While I say this I'd like to remind you I'm not blaming you for anything, it's entirely their fault for skipping a step in the free-range process.

Check with your county/town regarding zoning. Where I live it is required that chickens are fenced, free range is not allowed.

Perhaps call animal control. Generally dogs are not allowed to wander and owners can be cited/fined for "dog at large" The same laws may apply to any animal. It may just be recorded as a complaint initially, but if there are subsequent issues animal control may take action.

Sorry you are facing this. My birds occasionally wander into the neighbors yard, but I have made sure it was not a problem for them.

I would try to make contact again with the neighbors, they may not be aware this is going on. I found out from my neighbors a month ago that my turkeys would cross the street, and stay at their house all day! I didn't know this because I was at work all day. I have since made sure that they are confined.

I am of the opinion, that if my animals wander onto a neighbors property, and one gets injured or attacked by their pets, it's just too bad. That's a shame that your Uncle's dogs are going nuts, it must be torture for them.

I'm not sure what other options you have other than speaking with them. The next step I would take would be to contact the township. Best of luck!

thank you, i will try going to speak with them again, I just am hoping for a resolution, before any serious injuries to any one or animal, its always a ongoing job keeping animals you have contained and safe, i just hope we can get to where we can live next door without our animals getting hurt, i appreciate the advice thank you will keep post updated .. hopefully with a resolution :)

Back
Top Bottom