1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help I have Chickens in my Trees!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chiknlady, Aug 17, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Starting about 3 nights ago--something or someone spooked my juvenile birds. They started roosting on the roof of my main coop, walls, posts etc. Well tonight they are in my Walnut tree--high enough that I can't reach them. Are they free too much, how do I reign them in, --any ideas??? I have not seen this behavior before... [​IMG]

2. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

I have always turned a light on in my coop about 1 hour before dusk to get the chickens to come to the light in the coop. Seems to work as they are always in there before dark. Maybe you could get them trained to do that ?

3. chiknlady

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    I would love too--but I do not have power run to the coop yet--

I can invest in a solar model--but I still don't know why this started and how to stop it. I am concerned they may go over the fence and go feral....

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Well if you were to try the light method then try and use a strong flashlight and leav it on in there. You may want a good stock of batteries though. You may also want to get a bird net to try and reach them with.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Start with a pail of 1 color that you use spacificly for treats and food. Go out, banging it so they learn the sound. Use bread, scratch, what ever it is that your girls love. Sit next to the chicken house door and throw it in the coop to let them eat it. Close the door and leave them in.
    I'd leave them in for 2 days if it were mine. When you decide to let them out, using the same bucket or container, put a scant amount of treat in the pail, sit in the chair near the coop and give it to them on the ground. That night, take the same pail/container out, bang on the side and call them in. Give the treat in the coop and close the door. They will begin to associate treat with bucket, and if I want my girls in a certain area, then I'll walk out, leave my bucket on the ground and they will be interested in it, even empty.
    Good luck.

6. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Clip their wings?

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The first trick is getting them back into the coop, obviously try their favorite treat.

I would then leave them locked in the coop for at least three days. You will have to retrain them that the coop is a safe place to roost.

8. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    If they are not too high you can retrieve them with a 2x4. Press up on their breasts just in front of their feet while they are sleeping. They will step up onto the end of the board and can then be lowered down. If they are up higher than an 8ft 2x4 can reach, time to call in some neighborhood kids to do some climbing....good luck....

9. chiknlady

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Okay,

I placed a solar lamp inside the coop for a little glow, I fed their favorite treats, I used a 2X4 to retrieve the ones in trees and I got a heckaofa workout chasing and catching the rest. I let them out today, so we will see how it all goes. Next step is clipping wings....

Thank you!!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    The bad thing about clipping wings is that then they can't fly up away from a predator. Hope the light worked out for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by