Help! I have new chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homeyhall, Sep 20, 2009.

1. homeyhall

homeyhall Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    My hen hatched 9 out of 14 eggs she's been sitting on. I bought her at 3 days old from tractor supply and raised her under a light along with other hens and roosters.
    Now that she's had her own; I don't know what to do. She layed them in a 50 gal barrel I have on it side in the hen house. I used it for ducks before the fox got em. The chickens have been free roaming.
    I locked her in the hen house with food and chicky water and left the rooster outside. I also put a light outside the barrel. I'm in the south and it's 70-75 deg in day and 55-60 at night.
    Do i need a light? Did i do right by seperating the rooster? He's happy outside and roosts way up high out of harms way in the barn.
    Help me.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it actually sounds like you have it all under control. as long as they can get in and out of the barrel safely, you are good to go.

they don't need heat because they will be under momma. feed them grower now so they can get enough protein.

have fun and blessings for lots of healthy babies.

3. homeyhall

Sep 17, 2009
    These are my chickies! Does anyone know what kind of hen she is?

[​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know.. what kind is the mom? She looks like my EE mix...

5. homeyhall

Sep 17, 2009
    My hen and chicks.
    [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    she's NOT an EE...is she LF or BF????

she could be a OEGB or a Welsummer depending on the color of her legs and the size of her body with that pattern of her coloring. duh, me, i just noticed she has white earlobes, so she is NOT a Welsummer.....is she little?????

the pattern is also found in brown leghorns, but the comb is way too small.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG] She is beautiful! Maybe she has some wyandotte in her but lucky you!
    Cal
    JAX FL

8. homeyhall

Sep 17, 2009
    YEs she's very little. and what is an EE? Sorry, I'm a real beginner. And I guess I can cut the light off???

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    she is an Old English Game Bantam (OEGB)!!!!! Beautiful little girl! oh, a real cutie for a mom. too funny. just wonderful! a favorite of mine for sure. just a little handful of cute! [​IMG]

yes, cut that light off. she'll get too hot. she'll keep them warm enough. and she'll want the dark privacy too.

EE = Easter Egger. [​IMG]

10. homeyhall

Sep 17, 2009
    Thank you so much....I have hopes growing my number of chickens. I bought a 10 acre farm last year knowing very little about animals. We started with 15 chickys and 3 ducks from tractor supply. A fox cleaned me out until these two out smarted him and roosted in the rafters. My rooster is a blue rosecomb.
    Thanks for all the help..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by