1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help!! I have one hen that won't stop being mean to her new sisters!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by csberge, Aug 1, 2014.

1. csberge

csberge In the Brooder

May 17, 2013
    I need help!! I have one hen, a barred rock that is about a year and half old, and she refuses to allow her 6 new sisters in the flock. She will chase them if they are trying to drink or eat and just acts like a bully. The 2 older Easter Eggers I have are fine with their younger sisters, who are 16 weeks. I've left the barred rock in a smaller coop by herself for over a week and when I try to introduce her back to the flock it's right back to the same thing. She has lost her pecking order with the other 2 older chickens but that doesn't seem to stop her from acting like a school yard bully. Do I just continue to keep her in solitary confinement until the peeps are a full 20 weeks? I do feel sorry for her when she's all alone but I'd feel worse if one of the younger girls died because they couldn't get any water in the summer heat. If anyone has any experience with this I would LOVE to hear how you solved it!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Provide multiple feed and water stations and allow them time to work things out - chicken society is frequently unpleasant.

2 people like this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    x2

Your hen does not see the other birds as her "sisters". She sees them as competition for food and water and the best roosting spot. She sees them as a threat to her place in the pecking order. If there is no blood and no serious injury, I'd keep her in with the flock. Every time you take a chicken out of the flock or a length of time and put it back in, they have to start all over to reestablish the pecking order. Leave her there and let them get it settled. They will most likely tolerate one another better after that.

4. csberge

csberge In the Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Thanks Guys. At the moment she chases them under the coop so I will place food and water under there for them. My Black Australorp is almost as big as she is now so hopefully it won't take long to settle things down.

I feel like Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?!"
    [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Put up some hideouts, out of sight, out of mind works well for chickens. Winter is coming, winter makes for one flock. When you are cold, you are not so picky who is roosting next to you.

"Provide multiple feed and water stations and allow them time to work things out - chicken society is frequently unpleasant."
    Excellent advice and reality. Very often, they don't just get along.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: