HELP!! I have questions about my dog!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kaybug137, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    My dog is pregnant, and due any day now, I have a few questions and here they are:

Do dogs get pregnant once after mating, but after they go out of heat, if that doesn't make sense I am sorry! or is it from the first time they mate, that their due date should be 63 days from there on?

My dog is now leaking milk I think is what my mom said, she was running her hand across her belly and felt liquid she doesn't know if it was something else or milk. She vomited a few times lastnight, night sure if thats because of what she ate, or because of being pregnant. She looks like shes about ready to pop or them puppies are gonna kick their way out. She pants, but not sure if its due to being hot cause it is hot outside or shes hot, or going into labor.

and do all pregnant dogs leak from their "whoohaah" or does it depend on each dog, she isn't leaking down there, never un-swelled either.

we've been through this twice before, but it was years ago, and we've gone through pregnant cats many times before too, but cats are different of course. We just can't remember what the signs were before going into labor. She got, "stuck" around January 25th.

please answer soon!

2. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. magicpuppies

magicpuppies New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    If she hasn't had a puppy yet, she is getting ready to whelp
    Meaning give birth. Make sure her bed is ready. Also you need a heating pad set on low for the pups. Newborns can not control their body temp. So for the first week you need to have a room temp of 90 no less than 80 degrees.

4. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    I think shes on her 65th day, what would be the signs to look for when she starts to go into labor? and I've got a bed set for her, shes got a blanket and one of those bed pad things that soak up stuff.
    And could her vomiting yesterday be caused by what she ate not agreeing with her, or just the babies getting ready. There is one laying down the middle of her belly, between her teats, from what mom felt of, facing towards her "whoohah" and should she be leaking from there, though she is not.
    My brother in law bet she'd have them today, but she has no signs of being in labor, other than she lays down a lot, which I get, I wouldn't wanna be tugging around a big ol belly either, shes still acting her self, chasing cats outside, I am not sure if shes slowed down on eating, mom wont pay attention to that. but shes passed up on crackers my toddler niece throws in the floor, she did have the munchies for a stick earlier but didn't eat it, just left a mess.

Also, this is her first time, and she is still a puppy herself, she'll be a year next month, it wasn't our fault she got pregnant, she got ''got'' when my mom was in the hospital we were stressing out, and the dog got let out on her leash to go potty and next thing we know shes stuck.

5. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    Also, the two dogs that got her weren't that much bigger than her, not sure of their breeds, but they camped out in our yard, and Kahlua (my dog) is a Corgi mixed with I believe German Shepard.

6. magicpuppies

magicpuppies New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    A year old is not too young for her to be bred. She is fine. She is in labor right now. The throwing up is her body cleaning out to birth her babies. Some dogs eat and some do not. She is fine. If you look at her side when she is panting she will have a tightening and ripple going on.

Your mom will know what to do. You should mostly stay out of her way. You might need to break open a sack. Maybe! She looks like a Chihuahua. They are excellent Mothers and do a wonderful job caring for their pups

7. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    She isn't having any tightening of her belly, gets a little hard sometimes but I assume that is cause its full of babies. its not a constant pant, just every now an then if she gets up to move, but she hasn't panted in a while. What are all the signs I should be looking for, other than panting, and the tightening of her belly, I think her milk just came in today, cause I don't think she had any yesterday.

8. magicpuppies

magicpuppies New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    She will do just fine. Don't worry, also her breed doesn't matter. She will do a get job. Try not to bother her to much.

9. magicpuppies

magicpuppies New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    She is in early labor. You are watching all the signs. My guess is she will start having her puppies about 11:00. Relax take a nap or rest up. If you are worried and tense she will know and she will hold back her delivery. She can sense what is going on with you. So be very calm and let her and nature do this.

You must stay calm. Do not disturb her. Do not have children and a lot of people around. She needs peace and quite. Also try to darken the area her bed is in.

10. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Dont sweat it, birth happens all the time without mans help. ...so dont worry and witness the birth. Keep calm and dont excite here. Instinctively, Momma dog will know how to care for them thats her job. But that is not to say you cant help her out to bring them up to human standards.

In saying that, occasionally there is a need for intervention. She will not have them all at once, one will come and she will rest, then another, then she will rest........!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by