1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help I have RATS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tenmore, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I Have a rat problem Traps are not working Something is springing traps but mot catching anything. I dont want to use poison dogs and chickens will get in it. Dose anybody have suggestions...Rats come from barn through goat pen to coop I have snap traps in barn and a small live trap in coop none of them are working traps sprung bait still there. Please Help me!!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I had rats get into my attic and nothing worked but poison. Hubby complained about the smell, but I said that is the smell of victory!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. redjess1984

redjess1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Glue traps work great. Span them across the entire doorway or whatever they are crossing and put some jelly in the middle of each one.

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    use poison but put it where the rats can get it but not the chickens [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    traps work in combination with shooting them with a pellet rifle and poison for traps to work well you have to set the traps so no baited is used set the traps where the rats are traveling in the holes in the runways holes under fences etc the feed you are using for your birds is a good bait if you are using glue traps if you are fighting wharf rats like I am I use muskrat sized conibear body grip traps that and steel coil spring trap sized large enough they work like a body grip

7. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    finally some progress made poison is out .......After 5 days I finally Caught 3 young rats in one night. No adults yet...got me wondering if adults kick young ons out on their own or did the poison get the adults forcing the young ones out on their own either way 3 Down more to come

8. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Nothing works better than the good old shotgun. [​IMG] (or whatever gun is on hand) Whenever I have experienced rats there was only one by itself.

9. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I wish I could but id have to shoot toward the neighbors house

10. pkm38

pkm38 New Egg

Sep 17, 2011
    Not the most humane but the most effective. Fill a 5 gallon Bucket with water about 3 quarters fullh and top it off with bird seed covering surface. Put a ramp to the lip of bucket. This also works for field mice, chipmunks and mice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by