Help I have sick coughing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cindy2348, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    I have three or four chickens that are coughing and one has a bubbly substance in/on her eye. Can anyone give me some ideas what it might be and some treatment ideas. I put the respiratory medicine in the water already.
    Thanks for any help someone might have.
    Cindy

2. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Hi I haven't had any experience with coughing chickens, but I was chatting with another member via a private message trying to diagnose what might be wrong with one of my hens and I was told if your chickens start coughing it could be a sign of gapeworm, the respiratory medicine will not help if that is what it is, you might see a temporary recovery but then they will get worse again. Have you wormed your chickens lately? If not, make sure you get a broad spectrum wormer that lists gapeworms such as Valbazen. I know it might be expensive, but trust me it is much cheaper then what the vet will prescribe for your entire flock. I recently found out my ill hen has tape worm and round worm, and the wormer they gave to me to treat all 6 of my hens cost more then the price of the bottle of Valbazen I just purchased, so now the Valbazen doesn't seem s expensive. If you need more info try a search on here, I have gotten a lot of good info off of this forum on the correct dosage and how to administer it without a drench gun! Hope this might help some, but just to warm you I am a total newbie!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    You have a respiratory ailment in your flock that is spreading rapidly. It could be viral or bacterial and there is no way of telling without a lab test - which is expensive and will take time. Get avian antibiotics. Even it this is viral, the antibiotics will take care of secondary infections. You can purchase the drugs at your feed store. Also available online if you don't live near a store. Be very careful with the dosage - the drugs are in packages meant for large flocks. Since this disease is spreading through your flock, dose all birds. There are various antibiotics on the market. Some are broad spectrum, some are more powerful. I'd suggest Tylan if you can get it. Some respiratory ailments are so virulent that your birds will die within 48 hours of you noticing the symptoms. That's why people jump to using antibiotics instead of waiting. I have a FAQ about respiratory ailments at my website.
    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/respiratory-diseases/
    And you can search my blog archives for more information.

4. Cindy2348

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the info it was a big help. I had one die last night. I have two in my basement in a cage that have bad eyes. One just has one eye that is bubbly the other one has both eyes crusted over. I am trying to keep her eyes cleaned but alas they stay closed. I am feeding her medicated water by syringe and gave them both antibiotics. We will see how the night goes.
    Thanks again!

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I've had hens recover from similar symptoms. And hens have died. Good luck!

6. Cindy2348

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Does anyone else have any more ideas? I don't want to lose any more birds!

7. chicken-wish

chicken-wish Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    The only thing I can suggest is to clean your coop thoroughly with a disinfectant so the condition won't be able to return near as easily, or infect any that have not yet come down with it. If you can get ahold of some electrolytes (don't know if I spelled that right) for thier water or feed, and I used to add a little of Murray McMurray's Quick Chick for starting baby chicks (if that was not available I used a medicated chick starter). This always seemed to have big affect on the prevention of spreading the disease and the quick curing of the sick ones. I used to raise atleast a hundred chickens at a time (and ofcourse new each one by name [​IMG] ), so I had to be careful when I spotted a sick one, that I didn't lose the whole flock. I hope this can help you somewhat.

8. sunflower2

sunflower2 New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Hi my name is Patricia, we recently got 7 production reds 14 days ago. Past 2 days I noticed one of my girls making a hacking noise, OK saying around, don't seem to be eating much. One eye looks closed. I'm new to chickens, day not know a lot about them. HELP!! I'm desperate, I love them so much already! Any info greatly appreciated!!! Patrici . She's laying around. Have to make her get out into run. I put electrolytes in water 2 days ago.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. sunflower2

sunflower2 New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Thank you for all your helpful info. I got all of them on electrolytes, and antibiotics, they are all running around, eating, and drinking. They seem back to normal. Huge relief!!! I was so worried. Praise God they are better! Thank you all again!!! Patricia

10. myboys123

myboys123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    I have the same prib with my girls with the hacking cough.some live & sone dont. I added electrlyes (spelling??) To my water and they are warm & dry.what the heck am I doing wrong??? Pls help I love my girls & dont want to lose anymore thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by