Help I have the meanest rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by big red chicken, May 7, 2009.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    Ok tomorrow I will have a pic. I need help, my rooster is soooooooooooooooooooo mean to the rest of the chickens. They are 12 wks old. I can't tell you what type of chicken, I can tell you he's the kind that has feathers going down his legs. Pic tomorrow I PROMISE! But he has the latter to himself, the other 13 chickens has to stay coop up in a corner at night. He is so mean what can I do should I separate him from the others.

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Off with your head! Chicken Casserole [​IMG]

Just what I would do with a mean 'ol roo.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    You only need a rooster to breed for eggs If you don't want to Put him in the pot.

4. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    i kinda agree. I'm really afraid that he will try to jump on my 3 year old that is where the problem will come in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    A prompt reservation to freezer camp is the best solution to an agressive roo.

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

yes, i agree.......off with his head!

7. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    i really wanted to separate him with maybe two of my hens. But why should I put of them threw that kinda drama with his mean butt? My hens haven't started laying yet, i kinda wanted some eggs to incubate from him. but it's not worth my baby safety? Also money is a little low to be tring to build a little something for him

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION! How old is the Roo? Is he also 12 wks. and from this same flock or batch? If not, how long have you had him? are you sure he isn't just establishing the pecking order with the young ones? If he's from the same flock, he could still be establishing his place as top chicken/dominant roo. Do you have any other cockerels / roos? Has he ever tried to dominate you or "herd" or "direct" you? If so, how did you respond? Have you ever tried any behavior modification techniques? (*hint* do yourself a favor and look up RoosterRed's rooster behavior modification page. Has TONS of great information and suggestions). Unless you are raising chickens specifically for meat, the roos deserve a chance to live, too, unless of course they become WAY overly aggressive with the other chickens or start attacking people (and yes, I mean MORE than once. Any animal can attack a person given the right *or wrong!* set of circumstances). JMO

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think it is time for some dumpelings [​IMG]

10. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    Yes he is 12 weeks old. I hatched him with the other ones. Yes there is one other rooster who runs from him. When he was about 8 wks old he jumped on my daughter's head however I thought he was tring to perch somewhere because I didn't know at that time it was a rooster. He have approached me but not with his feathers standing up on his neck just ran up to me very fast, I gave him sturdy!!!! eye contact and didn't move. I love all of my chickens! I well try that web site. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by