Help I have to chase my ducks !!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dixygirl, May 24, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    OK I pick up the chicken real easily. But the ducks run from me and I bought them at the same time.

The ducks literally flee from me when i try to catch them to bring them indoors for the night. So, I have to RUN after ducks at night to bring them in. I tried herding them with a pole, but i guess i am not good at it because they went everywhere!

What bothers me is that just a few weeks ago they were following behind me like a mother duck. Now that they are huge they don't follow me anymore and i have to catch them to pick them up. I put them all in a big basket and carry them inside. Then one of them squeeks like i am killing him.

Any suggestions at all?
    :|

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Will they follow the chickens in? I herd my chicks in with a broom and my mallards follow them into the shed/coop. I've finally got the ducks going into their separate pen in the shed for the night. Once everyone is in the shed I just close the shed door behind me and open the ducks pen door & they hustle right in. Well sometimes [​IMG] Good luck and I hope you can find something that works for you.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Well I have no words of wisdom for you, because my one week old baby ducks want nothing to do with me. Everybody says ducks are so friendly, right.! [​IMG] Mine run all around the brooder box trying to get away from me. I swear mine hate me!

Sorry I have no advice for you and I went off on a rant of my own. Somebody will have some advice I am sure. [​IMG]

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My ducks are definitely more timid than my chickens. I keep them penned though and they do go into their house at night on their own. I wish I could help.

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Been there, done that [​IMG] I've actually gone in circles, round and round the coop trying to catch them. I was trying to get them up into the coop they were originally in, because they couldn't/wouldn't go up the ramp. Finally one night, I left them out a little bit later, and found them all bunkered down in my other coop, which is ground level and they could walk in.

I raised mine up from hatchlings too, and they still won't let me walk up to them [​IMG] Must be a duck thing. Can you wait till it's nice and dark out, and they are ready for bed, then catch them? You know, if they bed down somewhere else, then gather them up quick. Just an idea, I know not all ideas work the way we want them too, lol! Good luck!

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks are not cooperative when chased. However you can fool them into going where you want them to go.

Walk slowly around them so that they are between you and where you want them to go. Act like you are not paying attention to them whatsoever. Then as if you are still not paying attention to them, walk slowly toward them and if you want them to go right, hold out your left arm. And if you want them to go left, hold out your right.
    It takes a bit of practice, but it works and soon you will be steering them all over the place.

7. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    My bird catching method.

One corner of the pen/run I set up a small fence, in this case its a 15' piece of rabbit wire, I have it in a semi-circular fashion with a gap at one end between the trap and the fence heard them into it. They run around in circles as you move in and close the gap. I close it even more making a full circle out of it.

Now you just reach down and get your birds.

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My ducks just go in their coop at night. They go in later than the chickens but they go in.

9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Runners are easy to herd. They go right into their pen, especially since that is the only place they get feed from me and they only get it at night! They're hungry and can't wait to get in there. Most evenings I go into the barn and they're already in front of the pen door waiting. [​IMG]

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My chicks and my ducks are all semi-wild - I couldn't catch them if my life depended on it. But every evening I get them all in from wherever they are free ranging by slowly herding them. The ducks are the easiest because they all stay together. I use a long pole that has an L-Shape on bottom so I can use it like a hook if I have to. But like Terrie said - just walk slowly behind them and use the stick to keep them slowly moving in direction you want them to go. I get them not only into coop but into individual pens in coop and each morning out of coop into a separate fenced yard. Takes a little practice. Trick is to go slow and keep them together. Like Terrie said you almost have to act like you're not doing anything at all and it is completely their decision that they are going in and into the place you want them to be. If you get in too much of a hurry they know something is up and they scatter. Once one breaks formation all bets are off and then you have to start over. So go slow and keep them together.

My chickens are so trained (or onto me) that now when they see me get my stick they all either start running away for one last fling or start heading into coop all by themselves. I'm finding my RIRs are my wayward/wild childs cause they will purposely scatter and refuse to go in till I'm practically pushing their butts in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by