1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

HELP! I hope they don't freeze to death. :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mycutekitties, May 31, 2010.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    My broody hen had 5 Silkie babies on May 7th. Since then I made a special place for her on the bottom level of our coup so she could sleep with her babies at night. Tonight when it was dusk mommy decided she was done with sleeping with the babies and went to the top of the coup leaving her babies to sleep alone. [​IMG] So I grabbed her off the roost and put her with her babies and she is still avoiding them. Will they be too cold tonight? Should I move them to the top level of the coup or bring them inside and put them under a heat lamp.
    What should I do??? They are so little. [​IMG]

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Sounds like your silly hen has quit on you. I would put them in a large plastic tote with paper towells or pine shavings and a heat lamp and brood them safely that way. Hens do that some times, the broody has been bred out of them so often. At least she hatched for you. Good luck, HenZ

ETA: you know silkie chicks are special? They need extra care, as they are just so dang sweet. Even at 3 weeks old they need a mommy.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. AVizcaya

AVizcaya Songster

May 8, 2009
    My broody hatched 3 chicks right around the same time yours did and her chicks have been sleeping alone for just under a week. Hen raised chicks seems to be MUCH hardier than our hand raised spoiled little brats [​IMG] hehe I wouldn't worry to much.

4. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I just went to check on her and she is sitting near them (not on them) so hopefully that will be OK. I hope I sleep tonight!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine hatched on May 10th and sometimes they sleep with Momma Dot but lately they are around her but not next to her unless they are cold. It has been so hot here. Mine are nearly feathered out so even if they were in the brooder box I would soon be moving them to the coop to roost.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by