HELP! I just got a new chicken and one of her legs is twisted !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMoM2619, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ChickenMoM2619

ChickenMoM2619 Hatching

Feb 13, 2019
    Hello, I'm new to this community and I'm really hoping you guys can help. I just got two new chickens and one of her legs is twisted! I've never seen this on a chicken before and I'm not sure if it happened today when they boxed her up and gave her to me or if its like a genetic thing. I also am wanting to know if it is fixable as well. IMG_0646.jpg

2. Welcome to the forum! If it's old, I doubt you can "fix" it. Probably a splay leg variation, a birth defect, not hereditary. If she walks normally I would not worry about it; however, be careful if you ever want to use her for breeding stock. Do you know what breed she is? Some breeds have creeper genes or genes that only appear every other generation. Good luck!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to BYC! :frow
    Does her leg seem to be bothering her? Is she limping? If not, it may be a defect.......
    As long as she is not in pain, my guess would be that she will be okay.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

Attached Files:

Chick-N-Fun, Wyorp Rock and sourland like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. That did not just happen. Read the links provided by @Eggcessive.

6. ChickenMoM2619

ChickenMoM2619 Hatching

Feb 13, 2019
    She’s is limping and doesn’t not put pressure on that leg I’ve also notice that on that same side her wing is hanging very low. I can post some pictures when the sun is out.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don’t know if the wing problem is related to the leg deformity, but it could be. As for the leg problem, the hock tendon sometimes can become ruptured due to all of the pressure on it as the chicken matures, and that would cause lameness. It might be helpful to try supporting the leg by wrapping it with vet wrap strips and padding, kind of like a knee support that people wear.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: