Help! I just got some free 10 day old incubated eggs! *hatching!!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Morning Dove, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    A friend just gave me 18 10 day old incubated eggs from where he works! (Don't ask!) And I've never hatched chicks before! I need to McGuiver myself something fast! Right now, They are on a large cardboard flat, with a towel over them, with a galon sized ziplock bag of hot tap water over them, with a towel over that. I also found a 40 watt bulb (most of my home is floressent) and I stuck that in a desk lamp and have that shining on them.

I can't go out to the store or anything because my son will be off the buss soon, but any other suggestions?

Dove

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    do you have a thermometer and a cooler tub? this is something I read while searching for incubation information..

Fill a Tupperware with hot water and leave it in the cooler, get the temp to about 100. poke a few holes in the Tupperware so the eggs get some humidity. put the eggs in a carton or something with big side up and put them in the cooler. Keep an eye on temp [​IMG] then go get an incubator asap xD

your way works too but make sure you dont cook the eggs so use a thermometer!! meat thermometer works too i guess! good luck

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Ok, now I found a cardboard box, I put a towel at the bottom, with a container of water with holes in the lid. Then I put down my cardboard flat, and I put the eggs on it sideways and marked them with an x so I can rotate them. then I put down a towel over them, and then the bags of warm tap water, and then that lamp over top..... Maybe I could moisten the top towel for hummidity?

Dove

4. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    put a wet sponge on the bottem, if your using we towel dont let it touch the eggs, do you have a thermometer...Oh i just thought of somthing, putting the eggs in the oven with warm water in a bakin dish would work too..just..dont turn on the oven haha. cuz oven is a pretty good insulator.

5. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    How are your eggs, did you get an incubator yet?

6. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    momma's chickens :

How are your eggs, did you get an incubator yet?

I priced one at tractor supply, but it's not in stock [​IMG] I'm going to call around tomorrow morning, but the DH brought home a thermometer and light from pet smart. Between a heating pad and the light 95.2 degrees now...

I think the eggs are Leghorns, that's the industrial factory farming chicken breed right?

Dove​

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I know you said "dont ask" how you got in to this little mess !!!!! But...... I must ask....... How did you get in to this ??? And where did your friend get them from ?? Sorry to ask !!!!

8. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:They were going to toss them out at work, because they didn't need them, so he brought them to me..... He's in the Research and Development department of a pharmaceutical company.

Dove

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:They were going to toss them out at work, because they didn't need them, so he brought them to me..... He's in the Research and Development department of a pharmaceutical company.

Dove

Interesting !!!!!!

10. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Ok, more info...

When DH came home with the thermometer, they were about 80 degrees, and were probably at that temp for 2 hours. Do you think that's enough to kill them? I've moved the box to the bathroom, so I can check on them at night easily. They were are 92 so I'm doing some experimenting to get them to stay warm. I figure the smaller room would be easier to retain heat in, and I wrapped a blanket around the box as well. I'm taking a temp recording every 5 minutes....

Dove

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by