Help....I just have one Buff Orpington left!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GretelC, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GretelC

GretelC Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2012
    Southern California
    I started with two but lost one in the pool. She is still looking for her best friend and has stopped laying and eating. I bought 2 silkie chicks,,,9 weeks and their chirping interests her but she wants to peck them so I have them separated. She was the more passive of the two Buffs but I'm afraid she will kill the Silkies.
    Should I get another adult or just try to add the Silkies? I know I'm nuts to care so much for Princess but she is such a sweet, attentive girl,,,I want her happy!
    Any advice would be wonderful!!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    You should not put the chicks with her if she is being agressive to them. They willhave to have their "adult" voices before you put them together. You would probably be better off getting adults but you still need to quarantine and introduce them slowly. Don't just throw them in together. How would you like someone walking in off the street and helping themselves to your fridge?

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She would have squabbles with a new adult chicken. It's the way chicken society works. Realistically it depends upon how many chickens you really want. As the silkies mature, you can gradually introduce them to her, but understand there will be some pecking and squabbles. If they are separated by a wire but can see one another she may gradually come to acccept them.

1 person likes this.
  4. GretelC

GretelC Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2012
    Southern California
    Haha,,,your right about the fridge...although with 2 teenage boys there's never much in there! But thanks for the great advice!!!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to heard about your loss [​IMG] Hopefully your hen will come to accept the Silkies over time. Chickens are such social creatures, they love other chicken's company. Though she may still mourn her buddy for a while. Good luck!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, GretelC, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sorry to hear about your loss - always rough. I agree with the advice given above. Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined us

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by