Help! I just ran out of chick food...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil_chick_chick, Apr 19, 2009.

1. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    I have 27 chicks, and just ran out of chick food, i just gave them the very last of it and cant get to the store for more feed til later tonite, what do i do?

2. lil_chick_chick

Mar 31, 2009
    ok, i just read on someone else's post that you can give them eggs? How would i do that though? scramble? what else can they have? and if i do scramble eggs...do i add milk to them like i usually do when i scramble? Im new to chicks so im still learning..

3. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    They can have the eggs scrambled or boiled, either way. I've never given mine either, though I was going to do the boiled egg last night, but no one has ever mentioned adding milk or anything. As long as the eggs are chopped up fine enough, I don't imagine it should be a problem [​IMG]

4. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Hi everyone,

My chicks like boiled eggs best. You can also give scrambled eggs NO milk or seasoning need to be added.

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    corn meal mash (corn meal and water so its pastey) oat meal (cook it with nothing else in it except water) you can combine the two also, its a wider range of nutrients. And boiled eggs too.

Thats what i do in a pinch if I need to get through a day or two without chick feed.

6. lil_chick_chick

Mar 31, 2009
    Thank you everyone, this has helped me alot understanding what i can give them, my husband should be back within 2 hours with chick feed, but what i gave them this morning is all gone, i may have to do the eggs.

7. Gardeninggranny

Gardeninggranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    If your husband is coming back in 2 hours your babies should be fine. If you have feed for larger chickens you could grind some finer with a food grinder for a temporary fix. Or try to get some of the fine stuff at the bottom of a bag. Dry oatmeal, any kind of crushed unsweetened ceral, dry bread crumbs,(toasted bread to dry it) would work in a pinch as would the boiled eggs someone else suggested, but the eggs spoil quickly. Get them back to chick feed as quickly as possible.

8. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Mine just love warm oatmeal. Make sure to let it cool, it should just be luke warm.. I take 1 cup of oats and add 1 cup of hot water. I hold the spoon our and say, "treat treat" they come running up to eat it off of the spoon. You could also give them dry oat, but they love warm gooy oatmeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by