Help I keep loosing chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I have hatched a few chicks this fall and the last batch the hen didn't stay on them the whole time. They were a day or two away from hatching when she left the nest. I brought the eggs inside as soon as I found them and got them in my bator. y problem is that they would be fine one day and then one by one they started acting sick. sitting in one spot wings drooped breathing hard. then they would die a few hours later. These were chicks that were only a few days old. does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Now I just brought a chik in that was out with a broody that was acting funny. When I brought it in it was sitting in one spot chirping a distressed chirp. I need Ideas on what to do ASAP please before I loose another one..... Please HELP!!!
    Thanks
    Mollie

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Please, please, please help, I don't want to loose another chick.... can't some one help???

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It sounds like they were too hot.

Hatching temperatures are higher than chick requirements.

I hatch at 99.5 F.

The first week of life chicks require 90-95, then decrease by 5 degrees per week until 70, and fully feathered, usually 6 weeks.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I know they weren't too hot. I have the temp set at 99. I am wondering if this could have something to do with the fact that the eggs got cold. Could the chicks get phnemonia from a cold egg?

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I guess I was thinking that you had your chicks in the incubator after hatching and left them there for a few days at 99 degrees- sorry. Eggs getting cold near hatching can delay the hatch but I don't think it would cause them to get pneumonia.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    thats ok, sorry I didn't mean to be rude... I'm just a little frustrated with the fact that they keep dieing... Sorry didn't mean to take it out on you.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Please, please, any other ideas???? I am running out of time here.........

8. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Lol it's ok!

Everyone has rough days.

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    yeah this has been a rough week and a half.... that is how many chicks I have lost.... I should have gotten on here sooner but I was sick too...

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no clue but....you've got me curious...I would like to know the answer too...I hope you find out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by