Help I love chickens and I don't know how to make it stop:-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sissybug, Mar 20, 2015.

1. sissybug

sissybug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Kingsburg Ca
    I gave away 3 roosters today that I raised for 5 weeks because I didn't want to eat them!! The thing that strange is my husband is a very successful hunter so I love venison and wild bore. I go hunting with him alote and get to enjoy watching them drop, and love the food they provide. I haven't actually killed anything my self but have had plenty of opportunities. So my question is how do I get past this not wanting to eat this animals that I am enjoy so much? And to top it all off chicken is my favorite meat ;-) ya I don't get it? Any help in getting past this would be greatly appreciated:) lol ya I don't get it my self. Because one of my biggest memories of chicken when I was little is of my grandma ringing there necks and the chicken running around with no head. Kinda crazy but it's one of my biggest memories going to my grandmas house in ardmore Oklahoma. Any input will do good or bad. I just need help getting over this. Thanks in Advance.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I don't eat my chickens ether. They are my pets. BUT I SHORE LIKES CHICKEN !!!!!!!!! I get them from the grocer. My top choice is TYSON........ They are the most TENDER that I have found...

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My friend has 5 chickens and won't eat any eggs. She eats store bought eggs, but whites only - won't touch the yolks. I imagine she worries about eating an embryo?

You eat the game your husband kills but, you didn't know the animals personally. The roosters you raised and took care of - that makes it very personal. I wouldn't eat them either.

Don't worry about it. Lots of people on here don't eat their birds either.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ps If I had seen headless chickens moving around, I NEVER would have eaten chickens in my life. I'd still be having nightmares too.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

I agree with the previous opinions. Emotional attachment would make it impossible to kill and eat a pet. And there's no emotion attached to those from the meat departments.

My grandfather had chickens, and I loved spending time in the chicken yard. But never got the connection with the great Sunday fried chicken was one of those chickens..

But I did get the connection when my aunt fed us bacon from my friend Bacon - whom I had loved and the big pig even gave me rides around the field. Never could eat pork at her house again..[​IMG]

IMO if you raised chickens to eat, the best plan is not to play with them, not to name them, and avoid emotional attachments.

1 person likes this.
  7. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    I can suggest 10 herbs and spices but the 11th is a secret.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

The other posters have given you some good advice. I don't think I could eat any non-meat birds that I had raised myself.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I would probably never be able to eat any of my pet birds, either. I would be able to do it if I raised birds just for meat (like Cornish X broilers), but not my laying/pet birds.

10. sissybug

sissybug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Kingsburg Ca
    Thank you:) I did tell my husband that the roosters where not meat bird. If he wanted to eat them we could get some meat bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by