Help!! I ned to try to find out what kind of predator got my bird!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 15, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok so lastnight one of our speckled sussex hens didn't come back to the coop. This morning we went out and looked for her with no success.. However we did find a fairly large hole that goes under a tree that had fallen down. We also found, on top of that fallen down tree, a large pile of dark poop that looked like it had berries or berry seeds in it. Does any one know what kind of animal this might have come from and what kind of trap should we set to catch the darn thing? What should we use as bait? Please help I only have 2 steady hens that are laying right now. The others have just started laying or are getting ready to and there are 6 people in our house so we need more eggs and less predators.....!!! Please HELP!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Mollie

2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    From the signs you found it could be a racoon, but they usually leave body parts and feathers everywhere. A live trap with marshmallows will catch a racoon, but then of course you have to deal with it. Dogs, fox, coyote and hawks can take a bird whole and not leave a trace though. They are much harder to trap I think. Might want to check with your local animal control or DNR about handling pesky wildlife. Is there any chance your hen is sitting on a nest somewhere? I "lost" one of mine that way [​IMG]

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Well the hen that is missing was just hatched this spring. She is a Speckled Sussex. Have you ever herd of one of these going broody this early? We took our two labs out with us this morning trying to find her. They "flushed out" all of the other birds that were hiding but we didn't find her. I have never had this problem before and am quite beside my self about it.
    Thanks for your response!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Might be a fox too, she could be feeding kits right now, so if you set a trap remember there could be her babies under that tree in the hole. Can you call some one in your area that would be willing to catch and release her and kits?

5. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Bears do eat fruit and poop out seeds it sure is possible

6. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:I'm not familiar with that breed, but I have had chicks hatch in March that went broody almost as soon as they started laying in August. I agree, that isn't very likely in your case. Sorry for your loss, I have lost birds to dogs and racoons and some that just disappeared. It is heartbreaking and frustrating. My solution was to get more chickens. LOTS more! [​IMG]

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thankfully our area is not well known for having bears.... However there has been a few that have been reported in the last couple of years.
    We do have foxes, raccoons, opossum, hawks, and the occasional sighting of an eagle.

There are no signs of feathers anywhere, just the hole and poop. That is all I have to go on right now. [​IMG]

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Any ideas??? please night time is over... I shouldn't be hearing crickets....lol

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Could it be a Raccoon? Coyote poop will also often have seeds and berries in it. Can you show a photo of the droppings?

10. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Lots of critters are showing berries and seeds in their poop right now - skunks, possums, coons, even coyotes and bears. I can't believe I am asking this, but can you provide any more of a description or a picture of the poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by