Help! I need a class called Muscovy Duck 101

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Arielle, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I was at a swap to meet a fellow chicken person, when I was face to face with ducks. ANd my boys have been pleading for a duck for months. And here they were, cute and affordable. [​IMG]

I didn't do as I usually do--spend weeks and months reading and understanding the needs of such a creature. [​IMG]

Can someone please fill me in on the needs of young Muscovies still in baby feathers ( tail and wings sprouting real feathers) heading into their first winter, surrounded by chickens and turkeys.

I need a tutorial called Muscovy Ducks 101 !!!! LOL

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:this is on duckling care in gerneral, but will apply to Muscovy ducklings, and congratulations they are the best. http://liveducks.com/care.html

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If they're just sprouting their hard feathers they are probably around a month old. Muscovies are not as messy with the water as other baby ducks, good choice!!
    [​IMG]

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:You're kidding, right?? THese ducks are wet and messy! [​IMG]

5. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Quote:You're kidding, right?? THese ducks are wet and messy! [​IMG]

X10!

They fly, too, so I always clip a wing as soon as it grows out. Just the one wing, the one time and they won't try to fly away after that.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Miss Lydia, you wrote:
    this is on duckling care in gerneral, but will apply to Muscovy ducklings, and congratulations they are the best. http://liveducks.com/care.html

Thank you--very help ful!

I think humans need to read the DO NOT EAT list--the list of junk food to NOT feed to ducks and chickens yet who tells the humans to "do not eat"!

THe ducklings are at 1 month-ish (according to BLeenie, TY) so the feed should change from 20 % prot to 16%. Does this apply to a big duck like a Muscovy? Do they grow faster than, say, a mallard, or develop the same rate over a longer time to reach the much bigger body size?

I have 20% turkey/gambird nonmedicated and 15%layer feed (3% Calcium) nonmedicated. I can cut the 20% by adding corn or oats, but is this too much grain? WHat should I cut it with? Greens? Worms? WIll a 4 week old eat these?​

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'd cut it with oats. The reason for lowering the protein is to avoid a condition called angel wing. Mine did just fine on 16% protein. They were just starting to grow their flight feathers when I switched from flock raiser. Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already, switch them over to pellets when you can. It's a lot less mess and waste. The type of waterer you're using might be to blame for the wet mess. I used a plastic jug with a hole cut just big enough for their heads to fit in to reach the water. That way they can't splash the water all over. Also, I like pine pellets for the brooder instead of shavings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I used a duck starter with mine(purina) then went to a grower and so forth.. that is how i have raised all 6 we have...

They are messy with water mine now have 3 pools that they waddle between.. and adore when a hose is left running.. they LOVE mud so my lovely white hens become a white and dirt coloured mess so very fast. [​IMG] I agree the wood pellet would be heck of a lot less messy than shavings.. although i did brood all of mine on it but they will climb in the water bowls given half a chance.. ok my older ones still do [​IMG] (5mths Oct)

9. DuckWrangler16

DuckWrangler16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Get Storeys Guide to Raising Ducks it is an excellent reference. I got it and it has enhanced my knowledge incredibly. [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I died when I saw a duckling sitting in the water dish!! I knew I was in trouble! WIll definitely change the waterer to have a drier brooder and will continue with trips to the wading pool.

Thanks everyone! More suggestions welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by