HELP I need a quick lesson on feather sexing one day olds chicks ASAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Jun 18, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I was at the feed store today getting more chick starter and I saw this sign on the door as I was going out and GUESS what it said!!!!!! They are getting baby chicks tomorrow and I am SOOOOOO excited I can not stand it. They are getting them from a local here and not a hatchery so I am sure that they will not be sexed, PLEASE can any one give me accurate information on feather sexing a one day old chick? I prefer to at least try not to get roo's . I would really really appreciate all your help. Cannot wait to see those fuzzy butts!!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, you'd have to know which breeds can be feather sexed and which cannot. I can't help you there. Does not work on all chicks.

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    umm i was a first timer and not many on BYC reccomend it but how i sexed my chicks were which one had longer wings but mine were a week old so its going to be hard. umm also if you hold them upside down nd the one that stands still is a pullet and the one who pecks at his feet or your hand is a roo. if you go back in thesse forums we had a HUGE discussion on this so try and search for it!sorry couldn't help more!

4. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    Quote:Thats how our feed store does it.
    This does not work on all breeds but mmc holds one wing out and if it has a short feather its a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by