Help. I need advice about my female duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickenmama94, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Chickenmama94

Chickenmama94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Maine
    My female duck has been trouble passing eggs, she passes them but she has difficulty. We have been given her oyster shells for 1 week or more to see if that helped. Apparently it hasn't because she is still having difficulty. Whats wrong with her? Is there anything else we can try?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you seen this page on ducks being egg bound? That is what it sounds like. I hope you can quickly find something that helps.

3. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    oyster shell would help with the integrity of the eggs but if they are strong shelled and not thin, that shouldn't be the issue. one thing to watch out for is a prolapse or eversion of the oviduct, which is when part of the oviduct and connected tissues is expelled out the vent during egg laying. i've never had this problem but it is very serious. main causes are obesity, laying too young, or excessive mating.

4. rflagg2

rflagg2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Bring back this old topic but I am torn between this (eversion) and egg bound for my female duck right now. I know there is something in the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks about the eversion but I don't have that book with me. How can I cure it if it is eversion instead of being egg-bound???

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For what it's worth, my snake had a prolapsed colon in which part of the colon came out of the cloaca. The treatment involved a rectal thermometer and KY jelly. I cleaned the area very carefully with warm water, lubricated it with the jelly and gently reinserted it. Then, I followed up with daily swims in warm water. Don't know if this would help, but decided to pass it along.

6. rflagg2

rflagg2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    She is healed for now but thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by