HELP! I need advice before the chicks hatch!!

gertiesmom

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Hello all!
I'm still new at a lot of things and I have some very important questions before my chicks hatch...providing nothing goes wrong. I have 3 silkie hens, 2 of which were broody (the one hen was broody for 2 months and sitting on nothing). Well somebody started laying eggs and my broody girls were so happy they finally had eggs to sit on! I let them keep 3 each and so far 3 of the 6 have movement, 2 have veins and number 6 was just laid on the 8th so I couldn't tell anything yet...I candled them last night! So, I marked all the eggs in pencil with the dates they were laid, the girls are doing a great job and I've seen progress when I candled them. Now come the questions...
1. Do I just leave the girls in the coop/ run with the other hen and rooster and wait for the eggs to hatch? Will the rooster go after the chicks and hurt them?
Or
Do I give all 6 eggs to the one hen and move her into a dog crate with a nest box? I thought about doing that with all the internet reading I've done, but the girls are all very close and I think moving her and the eggs would cause to much stress.
2. If I just leave the hens where they are and wait for the chicks to hatch, first one due 5/22, can everyone be put on chick starter? Should I get the medicated or non medicated feed? Can I still put out fruits and lettuce for the adult birds with chicks running around?
3. I just noticed tonight that the rooster is mounting the girls in the coop while they're on their eggs. He's young and full of testosterone but is it safe for the hens and chicks? I noticed a bald spot on the back of my one girls head today and couldn't figure out why she had it. Now I know he grabs right at the back of her head. I just hope he doesn't hit that soft appt that silkies have on their heads!!

Well those are my biggest questions/worries right now. I may be over worrying but I want to make sure I do everything right for my little flock! I think my landlord thinks I'm crazy to worry cause when I first moved in they had chickens laying/hatching eggs all over the property and just let nature take it's course. Please tell me if I'm crazy! Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide!!

I would certainly pull the rooster, with our without the third hen, if he is after them in the nest box.

Thank you! I'm gonna keep a VERY close eye on him and if he's still harassing the girls I'll have to seperate him...although I have no idea where I'd put him.

Back
Top Bottom