HELP- I need duckbill medical advise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckDolly001, Nov 30, 2016.

1. DuckDolly001

DuckDolly001 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2016
    Has anyone ever seen this develop on their duck's bill before. I started noticing it about a couple of months ago but at first thought she had just been foraging in the mud and still had dirt in her mouth. She is our most skittish duck so she never lets me get real close. A couple of weeks ago when we moved our ducks to the new run and I had to catch her, and I noticed it wasn't just mud.

She has started developing this brown crusty stuff around the edges of her bill. She has been around my other ducks for over 6 months but she is the only one with it. I started washing it with clean water daily and putting triple antibiotic on it but it doesn't seem to help. She gets fresh water daily and her new run stays dry. However, in the old run it did not have a roof covering and we got a lot of rain this past year so she did a lot of rooting in the mud the past 6 months...and out of all my ducks she is the "messiest" with her mouth and face always. The others keep themselves well cleaned with their water buckets and pool.

I emailed with pictures the only vet that even will see avian in our area to see if she would be willing to treat her...but I still haven't heard back from the vet. It doesn't seem to hurt her when I touch it to put triple-antibiotic on it. Her feathers have started looking a little rougher too.

Any vets out there ...or someone who is familiar with this? I've tried googling and everything but can't seem to find anything like it.

.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @DuckDolly001 Welcome to BYC.

Does this stuff peel off? maybe some kind of fungus? just a guess though I haven't ever seen this before. Till you hear from the vet put some ACV into their drinking water, It can kill some bacteria and is a good tonic also. 1-2 Tab to 1 gal of fresh water. Please let us know what you find out.

Her eyes are nice and clear and doesn't look like there is any drainage from her nares both are good points.

3. DuckDolly001

DuckDolly001 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2016
    I was able to find an avian and exotic pets vet about 60 miles from us..I am taking her to that vet this Friday. I'll be sure to post the findings since this is a new one to me.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank you, hoping it's an easy fix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by