1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I need helping telling what breed my chicks are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thechickgal, Aug 28, 2016.

1. thechickgal

thechickgal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    A few weeks ago I put some eggs in the bator. Then I added more a few days after adding those. I had about 20 eggs set all together. 11 has hatched and another is pipped. Some hatched a few days ago and a couple hatched yesterday. Then 2 had hatched today. I have 1 problem though. The eggs are from my two barred rock hens, Alkaia and zebra. I can't tell who the dad is though. I have 3 roosters in my pen with my hens (they all get along for the most part.). I have 2 Silver laced Wyandotte roosters (dot and spot) and a Zoro my barred rock rooster in charge. I have 7 hens, but I know that the eggs were for sure my two barred rock's eggs. I have seen Zoro mate with the two before ( he favors them two.). I have seen dot and spot try mating them too, but I couldn't tell if it was successful because Zoro pecks them when they do. ( that's the only time he attacks.) So I'm having trouble telling if they are a mix or just barred rock. The chicks look like barred rock chicks. They are black some have yellow dots on their heads, others heads are solid black. Some have dark beaks others have yellowish orange beaks. One is solid black with a yellow fluffy butt. Some are a gray black with yellow bellies and butts. I can post some pics if I have too.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Post some pics in a few weeks and we'll see if you've got mixes or not. At this age and these breed/color mixes would be hard to determine with any certainty.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're positive the barred hens were the mothers.....

If you have any chicks with solid dark heads (no white/cream spot on top), those would be female chicks from the Wyandotte fathers.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait until they grow out and see if they're pure barred Rock or mixed.

Any male chick from the rock hens and the Wyandotte fathers will have a white spot on the head as chicks. As will all the Rock father's chicks. So, you can't tell them apart at this point.

You may be able to use combs to tell....if your Wyandottes have good rose combs and no recessive genes for single combs, their chicks should all have rose combs. Look for a wide, flat spot where the comb is. A straigtht comb has little sawteeth sticking up, a rose comb is just flat at this point.

A barred Rock/SLW cross can look like a Dominique to the casual observer, but the barring is usually messier and the body shape more like the Wyandotte.

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. Denmarc

Denmarc Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    I too could use some help identifying my chicks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im just guessing but I think I might have a California white, a barred rock(possibly a cockerel?) and a partridge rock? have no idea at all about the gray one?
    any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im continuing research I checked the hatchery website that the Big R said they get their chicks from and by the hatch dates noted on the website the gray could possibly be a blue Andalusian? any thoughts on that one?

none the less my daughter has decided to name her (hopefully) Greycie because she is a beautiful shade of grey

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by