help - i need the simplest coop idea possible

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchickie2, Feb 21, 2013.

1. newchickie2

newchickie2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
    i am a single girl with very limited tools and zero building experience. i want to create a coop for my 2 new chicks with already constructed items. i have a wire dog cages and a portable wire play pen. i'm thinking i can combine those to make a run but what about the shelter? any ideas? i've been looking up ideas on google and have seen everything from old dressers to plastic tubs. are these types of ideas practical?

all advice is welcomed thanks!

2. heartbreakdiet

heartbreakdiet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    North Stonington, CT
    have you searched your local area (craigslist etc) for free wooden pallets? We built a pretty substantial coop using wood we found on CL for either free or very cheap.

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    You should definately check the coop tab here on BYC. Go to the top where you find "Forums" and it's just to the right called "Coops" just to help you out a bit. Good luck & [​IMG]

4. Have you considered putting roofing (anything from a tarp to plastic to whatever) over the current dog cage you have and set it in a dry protected area of yard. If your chicks are still very young you have some time to come up with something.

Do you have any chain link fencing available? Do you have any wood available? Do you have some REALLY GOOD FRIENDS?

Best of wishes.

5. newchickie2

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Right now my 2 tiny girls are in a large cardboard box filled with bedding and a heat lamp. I figure I have some time to think of something because they are small and furry yet but I am beginning to panic as most coops look more complicated than I may be able to handle. I am a teacher and throughout the day I am analyzing my classroom materials like plastic milk crates and tubs... there has to be an easy way to construct something cute and cozy minus handyman skills.

6. newchickie2

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Plus I am new to this side of the country... no real friends yet besides my students.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    You could always buy a little something. I'll keep looking around for ya!

1 person likes this.
  8. newchickie2

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
  9. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I would grab that. I'm working on building a 4x4 coop out of pallets and things I have around my home or have gotten for free. I'm already almost $200 into it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by