help i need tips on chicks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jt813, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    [​IMG]ok so im new at incubating and hatching chicks can someone give me all of the i need to know . do i use a dry incubater or with water and what are some helpful tips on taking care of them the first week please help im desperate thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken
    Check out that article on how to incubate eggs.

You will need to add water to your incubator. Even using the dry incubation method you still need to add water, just not as much.

As far as caring for the chicks the first week, you are going to need to keep your chicks inside of the incubator until they other ones hatch. They can stay in there (without food and water) for up to 72 hours after hatch because during this time they are absorbing the fluids from the egg. After you remove your chicks from the incubator, place them in a brooder with a heat lamp set up so that the tempature is 95 degrees the first week and keep subtracting 5 degrees every week (95 first week, 90 second week, 85 third week etc). But of course pay more attention to the chicks rather then the thermometer in your brooder. They will tell you if they are too hot or too cold (Chicks scattered away from heat source=too hot, raise the heat lamp. Chicks huddled under heat lamp=too cold, Lower the heat lamp). I would also recommend dipping each of your chicks beaks in their water right after you put them in the brooder. The chicks should stay in their brooder until they are fully feathered (Usually by 6 weeks of age).

If you have anymore questions just ask. Welcome to BYC by the way!

3. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    thankyou so muchhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is gonna realy help me i am so glad i joined this website and i am able to get wonderful tips from someone like you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by