Help! I need to build my Run.. Space is no problem...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Swbuda, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Where do I start, what kind of materials do I use, etc? I want to cover it, too?? [​IMG] I have 33 pullets of various breeds, and want to get more.. I figure I want it to be 6 ft. high., but the rest is negotiable.. [​IMG]..

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Welded wire is generally recommended, either a small gauge or covered for the bottom couple of feet with hardware cloth. 33 chickens would be a minimum of 330 sq ft, or about 20x16. Actually 87+ sq ft per bird is said to be much better, allows for vegetation growth instead of pecked clean dirt. Something like hardware cloth or concrete scraps going down 1' then outward 1' should prevent digging under. I just built a 75' X 75' run, 6' high, and used 3 strands of electric fence outside it. Obviously at that size it has no cover. I plan to use old CD's, aluminum pie plates, etc. to deter hawks although to date they have not bothered the chickens; we have the most trouble with foxes here, plus coyotes and stray dogs. I have over 50 right now, some are headed for the freezer, but will probably have about 30 around most of the time.

I am certainly no expert; hope some others will chime in here.

3. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    What did you use for framing; 4 X 4's, 2 X 4's, ?? I am pretty handy with a hammer, and follow directions good.. But I have no man to help me..[​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Welcome to BYC
    here is my run may be will help you a little

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by