Help I need to know if my 11 week old chick is a boy??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ann11e, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ann11e

ann11e Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Kent
    Hi now my 11 week old baby has started to come into colour I want to know if anyone can tell me the if it's a hen or a cockeral it isn't cocking in morning and still likes to follow it's mum I don't know if it is a boy when it will start to try and mate with my girls and if it is a boy and lives on it's own when I let them all out in garden will he try to mate? Plz can ppl tell me what they think I've tried holding it upside down old wives tail says if it's a girl it will move it's legs it's a girl well it does that and when it was 2 days old I did the wing test and it seemed to look like a hen but I'm not sure please help! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes he is a cockerel. He has the pointed saddle feathers near his tail. He is handsome. Here is a good diagram of what to look for as they age:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. ann11e

May 4, 2014
    Kent
    Ok so when will he start to mate with my hens as I don't want him to he can live with 1 hen as I can discard her eggs but don't they harm the hens? Can I not do something to stop him mating? Plz help I only know how to care for hens I have no clue about cockerels? X

4. ann11e

May 4, 2014
    Kent

If I keep my cockeral in a seperate pen to my hens but let them all out in garden will he try and Hump the hens I only let them out for a few hours a day and I'm always there in garden with them. Will I have to rehome:( plz help

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If roosters harmed hens in any significant fashion, domestic chickens would have become extinct long before the time of the Pharoses. To even suggest such a thing is absorb in any logical persons opinion. If in fact roosters did harm hens, it is the sole fault of the chickens' owner for the way in which they house their birds. This is not even taking into account all the posts about how well roosters protect the posters' hens. Instead we should pity the poor rooster because its male body parts are too small to penetrate the hen. Or maybe it is the hen who we should really pity.[​IMG]

6. ann11e

May 4, 2014
    Kent

I asked for help not a lecture! If u know how roosters and hens mate u wud know they don't penetrate the hen they just spray into their vent and the hen closes the vent to keep the sperm in
    I want advice and some roosters can be harmful to their hens by pulling their feathers out and sometimes can lead to death and that is not what I want or am asking for I simply asked advice as I've never had a roo before so don't know much on how to keep them

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Rooster do 'overmate' with their favorite hen and leave her will a bald backside. There are people who make 'aprons' for the hen to wear but I found removing the rooster from the flock will help the hen grow her feathers back.

Occasionally you will run into a rooster who will maul the hen's face, comb and wattles. Such roosters need to be culled from the flock. Cockerals learning how to do the 'deed' will on occasion hurt a hen, and all young roosters go through the horny stage and will chase a hen down to mate with her. If you don't want your hens to be pestered by the rooster, separate them. Hens don't need a rooster to survive.

Observe this particular bird. When you see him getting rather randy with your girls, separate them. You can leave him in/or out for the day, and allow him to stay with the hens at night. He won't breed them at night.

I know lots of chicken folks who have a bachelor pad for roosters. They don't stay with the hens and are perfectly fine. All though there is a LOT of crowing going on!

Good luck! I hope this helps.

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:
    And I on the other hand have kept literally 1,000s of roosters. I was only trying to give you the benefit of my considerable personal experience. As always you are free to reject or to accept any and all advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by