1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, I picked up this adorable chick! What bantam breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kamiki, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Kamiki

Kamiki Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    So I went to the feed store I left with a chick I wasn't planning on getting! It was just so damn cute.

I know its a Bantam, and I know this feed store gets their chicks from Ideal Poultry: http://www.idealpoultry.com/

(s)He has clean legs, and beautiful face markings! I think he's about 5-7 days old.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's an Easter Egger

3. Kamiki

May 15, 2013
    Hmmm, maybe. I don't see many EEs with head markings like that. I'm wondering if it may be a Sicilian Buttercup, since Ideal will put them in their Bantam assortments.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I wouldn't leap to Easter Egger as it doesn't look likely to be one to me (although they can come in so many different colors and patterns as they are mix breeds)...but usually hatcheries sell them for the colored eggs and thus they will usually have the beard and muff and green legs and pea comb as the Ameraucana blood has to be close enough back to produce the egg color...usually...but as we know not always. Sometimes its Araucana blood so you don't get beard and muff, but that is a lot rarer...all to say, I'm not leaping to Easter Egger.

I agree with you...it looks like a Silver Sicilian Buttercup, but the comb isn't showing the little buttercup ring you'd expect on one even at this age...it looks like a single comb. But it is hatchery stock, and I don't know what the percentage of defective Buttercups with single combs is. Because of the single comb look (at this time), my second guess would be possibly a Silver Campine. Wrong coloring for a Silver Spangled Hamburg.

CUTE little chick. I can see why it came home.

That's my guesses.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Easter Egger roo was that color when I got him

6. Kamiki

May 15, 2013
    Well Ideal doesn't sell Easter Eggers I don't think, at least in the Bantam size. I know it has to be one of the breeds they offer because all their chicks from through that hatchery. (Unless you mean hatchery-grade Ameraucana, then yes that's a possibility)

It looks pretty spot on the to Buttercup chicks I've seen online, but the comb is tiny but single... but as you mentioned maybe the hatchery stock has defects. I'll keep you guys updated as she gets a bit older. :)

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cute chick! It will be easier to tell its breed when its older, but it does look similar to a Sicilian Buttercup.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

9. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Me too. You can compare them to the Sicilian buttercup chick pictures on Meyer Hatchery.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The chick does resemble a Buttercup, but I don't see a buttercup comb. Ideal has many varieties of Old English Game bantam including one that has the same pattern as a Buttercup. I would guess it's one of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by