1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I ran out of chick grower. What can I feed them til Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] Hello, I didn't realize I was on my last of the chick grower for my 4 Silkies. They are about 12 weeks old. Can I give Layena just for today? I don't want them to get sick. Or is there something I can make them? Thanks! Bad Mommy [​IMG]

2. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Sooner or later, this must happen to most if not all of us! If it were me, I'd give them a mixture of things to get through the day: some Layena (a day's worth can't do that much damage, can it?), some crumbled bread slices, crackers, breakfast cereal...if you have it on hand, you could even cook up some oatmeal for them...it's just for one day, so what pet food or canned food do you have on hand? (try to steer away from salty foods) Got any veggies or fruit you can share? Yogurt? Any combo of these ideas, plus some grit (tiny stones or gravel) for them to digest food other than commercial, which includes grit.
    You're not a bad mommy - just busy, I'll bet![​IMG]

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I remember reading that you could boil eggs and chop them up to give to them when you are in a pinch. It's full of protein.

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thank you soooo much!! I will mix a little Layena with veggies and put it in the food processor. As far as yogurt, is plain yogurt the best or the ones with fruit? I have some oatmeal too. They should be happy [​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I'll chop up some eggs too! Thanks... [​IMG]

6. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    You are ok. It will be ok. Here are some things they can eat for just one day... Oatmeal
    cooked spaghetti
    yogurt
    hard boiled eggs, chopped
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    water melon
    tomatoes
    dried egg - rehydrated and cooked
    instant mashed potatoes - cooked (no butter, no salt or
    pepper)

What kind of layena is it? I have had to feed my chickies different things cuz the feed store ran out of grower crumbles, LOL.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

when I run out for the younger ones... I have grit on hand when needed...
    I just reach for the cereal breakfast cabinet... whole grain cereals, oatmeal, granola, flax seed, then I go to the freezer & quick cook veggies, corn, broccoli, or mixed and even better if you have any fresh of course, throw in a couple of eggs for protein, or I use sunflower seeds.. give em a bowl of dry & a bowl of veg

cornbread is super easy too... mix in some solid veg pieces before you bake, and dump a loaf into the pen... easy

I just remember... some folks feed real food/kitchen scraps exclusively... so in a pinch, I'm sure it's no big deal.. I just try to stick to foods already in their "bagged" diet

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  8. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Quote:Whichever one you want to part with! [​IMG] Either one should be fine.

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize there were so many different things. The Layena I have is the Purina (blue bag), not that its helping the older ladies. [​IMG] I have 3 VERY large Light Brahmas, and a Buff Orphington. Just the Buff Orphington laid over the summer. I have some eggs and oatmeal cooking right now. Lets see if they like it, I am sure they will [​IMG] Thanks again for the suggestions!

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    WHOA!! [​IMG] I mixed oatmeal, hardboiled egg, broccoli, carrots and some whole grain bread and POOF!! All gone in no time. [​IMG] Thanks again for the suggestions!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by