1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! I think both my chicks grew up to be roosters!!! Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrjoshua82, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mrjoshua82

mrjoshua82 New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    This is my first post. Long story short...adopted a Wyandotte hen and her two tiny chicks a few months back. The chicks are not wyandottes like mama (i think she just decided to incubate the eggs). We were hoping they would grow up to be hens as well, however, i'm beginning to think that BOTH of them have sprouted into roosters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

. The black one i am pretty confident is a rooster because the picture speaks for itself. The brown one im not positive... I heard crowing coming from their coop this am. What do y'all think? sorry about the sideways photos.

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

As far as I can tell from the first pic the black one in front and the brown one on the right are roosters! I think the brown one on the left is also a rooster! Lets see what some other members say![​IMG]

3. mrjoshua82

mrjoshua82 New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    The brown one on the left is the mommy wyandotte. She hatched them so i know for sure she is a hen:) It's the other two that i'm worried about. We live in a subdivision so no roosters allowed. But now i'm attached haha.

4. mrjoshua82

mrjoshua82 New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    Also, a side question...if they are both roosters, how long do i have before they start trying to murder each other? Or will they? The brown chick(en) seems to definitely be the more aggressive of the two...chases the black one around a bit.

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My roosters never fought. But could you get another shot of the brown chicken? ( not the mom) like a headshot? but the black one is definitely a rooster! But the brown one looks like a girl.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. mrjoshua82

mrjoshua82 New Egg

Dec 27, 2012
    Here is another pic of the brown chick...although not much better. I'll try to get a closer picture soon. If it is indeed a hen is it possible that it would be aggressive enough to chase the rooster around? Also, if it is a rooster as well, I am concerned that the two will battle considering that they are a trio...one hen and possibly two roosters. What looks to be saddle feathers as well as the green in the tail on the brown young'n makes me suspicios of a rooster as well.
    . [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Gahhh... That's hard, but I'd lean toward girl... just because its tail feathers are not like the black one. If it is a girl, I wouldn't think it would be mean to the rooster, but if it was a rooster they may not fight, or they might. I had two roosters fight, but they didn't hurt each other, they just were fighting for dominance.

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Black one-100% rooster. I believe the brown one is also, but it's hard to tell from the pictures you have.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are they?

I'm pretty sure the brown one is a roo, and he's part wyandotte from that comb. He looks slower to mature than the black boy, but that darker shading on the wing is a boy thing.

As far as how long they'll get along, that really varies. They may just sort things out so you never even notice, or they may one day have a long drawn out fight to the death. Really, it's impossible to predict. But that black boy's going to start crowing and mating really soon.

10. BrokenBrownie

BrokenBrownie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    The black one and the brown one on the right are definately roosters! I think you have luck with the one on the left! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by