Help! I think duck eggs are pipping but I did not liner in bottom!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leecey411, May 29, 2008.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I think my call duck eggs ape piping, sooner than expected. I took them out of the turner last night and forgot to put the shelf liner that I use to prevent splayed legs into the incubator. Is it too late now? I Know I should not open the bator. Do ducks get splayed legs??? Help!!

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I wouldnt open it and move all the eggs. I have hatched call ducks with a wire bottom and have had no problems. JMO.

3. leecey411

May 31, 2007
    Thanks JMO!
    I was surprised to see the pips. I havemy humidity in the upper 50% about 57% is that good??

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I usually like mine to be around 60-65% but I wouldnt open the bator to put water in at this point. You can maybe try to put some water in through a straw through the vent hole. Maybe someone else will chime in for you here. Good luck.

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I just use the liner to help stop the eggs from rolling around so easily. You might want to try and dribble water in through the vent holes and try to get it closer to 70% for the duck eggs. That is where mine hatch the best at but every area is different. Good luck and dont open that bator. It could take up to 36 hours after the pips for them to actually totally hatch, they are slow little buggers. Jenn

6. leecey411

May 31, 2007
    THanks eveyone. I will add water via a straw to get the humidity higher.jkCove, these pips are very early, 36 hours to hatch would be just when I expected them. I feel better now!

7. leecey411

May 31, 2007
    I decided to move them a bit away from the incubator fan. I can feel and see them move in the eggs and I can hear them pipping. Everyone wish me luck!

8. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:You hear them? So they are peeping. This means they are making noise. Pipping means they have began cracking the shell. You'll see a little whole and a small spot cracked. If they are peeping then they will probably pip by tommorow. If you can't get your humidity up fast enough and they are pipping put a wet sponge (works best), or cloth in there. That usually brings it up faster. I've heard ducks will hatch in humidity around 80, but defer to the 70 that you heard from another poster. I think they will be fine. I do know when it comes to ducks higher than normal is better than not high enough. They need good humidity to zip.

Hope some of this helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by