Help. I think I have a roo after all.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cohl0406, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Cohl0406

Cohl0406 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

I hope this picture loads. I'm a first timer and I had read a lot on these forums before choosing a breed. I ended up with cuckoo marans. Their names are starsky and hutch :) the darker one being starsky. I fear hutch (the lighter one) is a roo and not a hen. I depended heavily on the lady that sold them to me at about a week old that they were hens as I only want them for pets and the eggs. I caught hutch "crowing" this morning. It was a bit pathetic but certainly a crow. Now everything I read the lighter they are they are a roo. His crown is also much more defined than the darker ones. I will have to get rid of the lighter one if it is a roo due to city ordinances. :-( I'm really hoping for good news.

Also when I was getting the darker one back into their pen a couple of nights ago the lighter one actually took flight at me to "protect" her. They are literally inseparable. The lighter one definitely seems more aggressive.

I know the picture isn't the best. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks so much!

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    He is definitely a rooster.

3. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

!Do you see any long 'curly' feathers on his tail? Being a lighter color usually means that they are a roo. (in barred rocks) And since he's crowing, he must be a rooster. It might be hard to take him from his friend though. [​IMG] How many chickens do you have? Could you get another barred rock for her to hang out with?

4. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    They are both cuckoo marans or so I was told. No long features on the tail.

I am looking for a place for him and to get another one. It would be too mean to have her alone.

Would a buff orfington get along with her?? Anyone know?

5. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    Are these gals even marans after all?? Once mypetnugget said barred rock I began looking into it and they certainly look like barred rocks rather than the cuckoo marans I was told they were.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Your picture is not the best and it is very hard to get a good look.

Cuckoo Marans will have white legs which it looks like yours might have.

Barred Rocks will have yellow legs.

7. Aragon

Aragon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Ocean Springs, MS
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but a Cucko Maran will have gray colored legs. Either way the lighter one is a roo. In both the BRs and CMs the lighter is the Roo. Seeing these two side-by-side, along with the comb and wattles and crowing. Slam Dunk ... Roo.

8. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    That's what I was afraid of. :-(

That was the best picture I could get of them at that time I had 2 kids screaming at me wanting to come outside lol if I allowed that I never would make it back in.

I really appreciate all of y'all's help.

9. Cohl0406

May 29, 2014
    Oh and I should mention the darker one is much fatter and heavier than the lighter one. I as just thinking the darker one was a bit older.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They are Cuckoo, not Barred. At least the pullet in front is for sure. It's harder to see the rooster's feathers in the pic. He most likely is a Cuckoo Marans, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by